Discuss Electric touch hob not coming on (plus consumer unit issue) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Basically your electrician has used a BG 'garage' unit which Screwfix sell. Nothing wrong with them but there is clearly something wrong with the installation, you really need someone competent to check this through- in fact the bloke who did the work should have returned straight away instead of guessing the hob itself was faulty and causing you all that wasted time and effort !

To far for me to do a free bee then
I wouldn't have expected that at all anyway but thankyou very much for being so kind as to even consider doing something like that even though it is too far the fact you would have considered it if it was closer is much appreciated.

Basically your electrician has used a BG 'garage' unit which Screwfix sell. Nothing wrong with them but there is clearly something wrong with the installation, you really need someone competent to check this through- in fact the bloke who did the work should have returned straight away instead of guessing the hob itself was faulty and causing you all that wasted time and effort !
It is plastic.

He said he will come back later in the week I was just hoping that a simpleton like me could confirm one way or the other if the hob itself was faulty before he came back
Simple to say, a layman like yourself would find getting the information from a forum, not your fault, just make sure Mr Muppet comes and sorts your cooker out

He said he will come back later in the week I was just hoping that a simpleton like me could confirm one way or the other if the hob itself was faulty before he came back

I would try and get a second opinion in, this guy does not sound as if he knows his onions.

Does the induction hob have a controls lock?

I.E press 2 buttons together to turn it on or are you doing that?

What make / model hob is it?

It looks like the "Electrician" has fe your new CU which contains modern up to date CBs from an Old style CU, don't go sticking your fingers in to the old box but have you any idea what size fuse he has taken the supply to the new CU from?
That's what it looked like to me too. Is that acceptable to do? I have no idea what size fuse he has taken the supply from though.

Yes sorry you did. You need to get the electrician back it should have been tested. When did he install that new board it looks non compliant to me.
It was installed last week. What makes it non compliant? It looks plastic but I think it is actually metal. It says on the label that the housng conforms to b's en 61439-3 if that means anything to you?

Yeah it would have been nice if he had come straight back. In fact he said he was coming back today but didn't turn up.

Simple to say, a layman like yourself would find getting the information from a forum, not your fault, just make sure Mr Muppet comes and sorts your cooker out

I will make sure that he does. Thankyou very much for trying to help me, that goes for all of you too

I expect so Westy, bloke that did it probably don't know what AM 3 is
Would you like to put money on that, looks very much like the metal unit to me.
Maybe, op is it plastic or metal the new board.
It looks plastic but it feels metal. Now I'm starting to doubt my own ability to tell what metal feels like. Lol (as the kids say)

Does the induction hob have a controls lock?

I.E press 2 buttons together to turn it on or are you doing that?

What make / model hob is it?
It is a belling ct601 and I've tried every combination of buttons that I can think of

Reply to Electric touch hob not coming on (plus consumer unit issue) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net