Discuss Electric touch hob not coming on (plus consumer unit issue) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

crapusername

I've recently had a new cooker point ran from the consumer unit and have had a new touch control ceramic hob installed on it but could get absolutely nothing from the hob at all, no display or anything. After looking at the consumer unit fuse board I realised the electrician who installed the cooker point had done so on a 6amp circuit breaker instead of a 32amp one.

Would that explain why the hob isn't turning on at all or should it be coming on and tripping the fuse?

If it has been put on a 6A the display should function but as soon as you put sufficient load on it, which the hob will do it will trip. Did he have a white stick and a sad looking dog.

If a 32A hob was run off a 6A MCB it could well be the MCB has failed.....

The hobs display isn't lighting at all and it isn't tripping the circuit breaker. Have tested the cable with be of those cheap pens that you just hold near a cable and it flashes and beeps. When the 6amp circuit breaker is on it beeps, flick it off and it doesn't meaning that the MCB hasn't failed right?

The odd thing is that two identical hobs have been tried and neither will light up or anything.

Any ideas?

It needs a proper test meter, but may be the neutral missing somewhere.

Maybe no-one explained to the dog that a neutral was required, so he could pass the info on..

The hobs display isn't lighting at all and it isn't tripping the circuit breaker. Have tested the cable with be of those cheap pens that you just hold near a cable and it flashes and beeps. When the 6amp circuit breaker is on it beeps, flick it off and it doesn't meaning that the MCB hasn't failed right?

The odd thing is that two identical hobs have been tried and neither will light up or anything.

Any ideas?
Two identical hobs have been tried? why?

It needs a proper test meter, but may be the neutral missing somewhere.

Maybe no-one explained to the dog that a neutral was required, so he could pass the info on..

I'll pass the information on to the dog to pass on to the electrician.

1. Don't trust those "testers"

2. Employ a competent spark
Are the testers pretty pointless then? And I thought I had to be honest.

Two identical hobs have been tried? why?
Because the electrician said that regardless of it being on the wrong sized circuit breaker it should still be working but tripping out regularly and if it isn't coming on at all then the hob must be faulty so it was taken back to the shop and replaced

I've been to 2 call outs in the last 6 months with "reported" oven or hob failure... in Both cases there were isolation switches that the home owners were unaware of!

That is the one thing that I'm certain is in place and switched on. Well actually it has been tried in the off and the on position just in case he's wired that up wrong. When it is on the tester beeps like crazy, when it is off it goes silent. I know you said you can't trust them but I assume it does at least indicate that there is power there right?

How do you know it is on a 6A.

Because it was a new mini consumer unit which only has 2 circuit breakers in it, one has 6amp printed on and the other has 32amp. The tester doesn't show any power at all when the 32amp is 'on' but as soon as the 6amp breaker s flicked on it says there is power

You can't rely on the "volt stick", you need someone with a voltage tester to look at it. Has it ever functioned.

Because it was a new mini consumer unit which only has 2 circuit breakers in it, one has 6amp printed on and the other has 32amp. The tester doesn't show any power at all when the 32amp is 'on' but as soon as the 6amp breaker s flicked on it says there is power
What says it has power? Oh sorry I just read Westy's post and it mentioned "Voltstick" don't relay on that piece of carp.

No it hasn't, it was a brand new hob (two of them) On a new cooker cable coming from a new consumer unit.

The led on the isolation switch lights and the volt stick says so too though I understand these are very basic.
Yes but as soon as you try to use the Oven/Hob whatever the breaker trips, correct? switch the 32 amp breaker OFF and try you Oven Hob if the indicator doesn't illuminate then the circuit has been wired to the 6 Amp breaker

Yes but as soon as you try to use the Oven/Hob whatever the breaker trips, correct? switch the 32 amp breaker OFF and try you Oven Hob if the indicator doesn't illuminate then the circuit has been wired to the 6 Amp breaker
No, it doesn't trip the breaker. It is as if the hob is getting g no power at all as the display remains completely blank and no matter how many times the buttons (touch screen thing) are pressed there is nothing.

Switching the 32amp breaker on doesn't light the isolation point led but switching the 6amp one does so I would assume it is definitely that one which is being used?

You need to verify if the "mini" consumer unit is actually live, where is it supplied from.

Reply to Electric touch hob not coming on (plus consumer unit issue) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock