Discuss Electric touch hob not coming on (plus consumer unit issue) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No, it doesn't trip the breaker. It is as if the hob is getting g no power at all as the display remains completely blank and no matter how many times the buttons (touch screen thing) are pressed there is nothing.

Switching the 32amp breaker on doesn't light the isolation point led but switching the 6amp one does so I would assume it is definitely that one which is being used?
Not sure what you mean "it doesn't trip the breaker" what exactly is the state of the two breakers ON or OFF?

Are you thinking that he has wired the mini one into the old style existing one? Because that was my first thought but he assures me it is directly from the main meter outside
Was the bloke that wired the cooker an actual Electrician or a mate fro down the Pub?

Not sure what you mean "it doesn't trip the breaker" what exactly is the state of the two breakers ON or OFF?

6amp breaker on = led lit up on isolation point.
6amp off = led off.
32 amp on: led off
32 amp off = led off.

Attempting to press any buttons on the job itself has no effect on the hob it remains dead and it doesn't trip or switch any of the circuit breakers in either direction. It has been tried with one up and the other down, both up, both down etc and the only one that gives lights the led on the isolation point is 6amp on, 32 off but none give any results on the hob or trip and fuses

We all use volt sticks but they can give misleading indication. I don't suppose the isolator has a socket on it.

He was an actual electrician but didn't notice that the circuit breaker says 32amp on it. I noticed that afterwards
Now I'm lost, the new CU has 2 cbs and a main switch, or should have, correct so far? Westy asked how it, the CU has been fed, any joy on that info?

my guess is that somewhere the hob is not connected to the isolator. connection unit not wired in properly?

my guess is that somewhere the hob is not connected to the isolator. connection unit not wired in properly?
Yes good call Tel, but you would have thought the Electrician would have tested that everything was honkydory before he did the Foxtrot Oscar exit.

We all use volt sticks but they can give misleading indication. I don't suppose the isolator has a socket on it.
No it doesn't have a socket on it sadly :(

Now I'm lost, the new CU has 2 cbs and a main switch, or should have, correct so far? Westy asked how it, the CU has been fed, any joy on that info?

Yes the new one has two CBs and a main switch, a 6amp CB and a 32amp one with the 32amp one appearing to do nothing but the 6amp one turning the isolator switch's led on and off.

I've just had a close look and there appears to be a cable going from the old style fuse wire box to the new mini (ie it can have 3 circuit breakers in it) box.

Do the images below help at all?
Upload Pie - The Simple Image Sharing Tool - https://uploadpie.com/Y4oqzx

Upload Pie - The Simple Image Sharing Tool - https://uploadpie.com/IsyDze

Yes the new one has two CBs and a main switch, a 6amp CB and a 32amp one with the 32amp one appearing to do nothing but the 6amp one turning the isolator switch's led on and off.

I've just had a close look and there appears to be a cable going from the old style fuse wire box to the new mini (ie it can have 3 circuit breakers in it) box.

It looks like the "Electrician" has fe your new CU which contains modern up to date CBs from an Old style CU, don't go sticking your fingers in to the old box but have you any idea what size fuse he has taken the supply to the new CU from?

Sorry I thought I'd answered. The hob was brand new and so was the consumer unit and new cable so I've never used any of them. The hob has never functioned since it was attempted to be installed
Yes sorry you did. You need to get the electrician back it should have been tested. When did he install that new board it looks non compliant to me.

Reply to Electric touch hob not coming on (plus consumer unit issue) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net