Discuss Adding a Fuse Spur on to a Consumer Unit Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes it’s a spur from a spur. Which I was always taught you couldn’t do.

On a radial ciruit, this would simply be an extension of the circuit.

If it had been a ring you would be correct about 'spurring from a spur', but I doubt an alarm panel fused at 3A would trouble the supply cable.

I believe the latter would contravene BS7671, but shouldn't present any issue from an electrical perspective. I stand ready to be corrected 😂

Last edited:
So as you say neither of you are qualified electricians.

you are doing an electrical installation of a new circuit or maybe an alteration to an existing circuit.

If you are doing this for reward, i.e. it is a paid job, how on earth have you got insurance to trade doing work that you cant show competence in?

Who fills out the installation certificate?
how do you show compliance with the regs and how do you test and document it?
He said 'one of the engineers', i'm presuming there's more than just them two. Please OP for the love of God tell me there are other competent people at work???

Last edited:
Howcomes?

Because I don't think it is good practice to connect non-lighting loads to lighting circuits unless they specifically need to be on that circuit (Such as a bathroom extract which needs to be switched with the light)
I see no reason why a burglar alarm would need to be fed via a lighting circuit.

What's the difference electrically between adding a single pendant straight from the breaker on a lighting circuit and adding a single pendant to the end of the line?

No difference at all, but my comment wasn't about adding a light to a lighting circuit, it was about using a lighting circuit to feed a non-lighting load.

Reply to Adding a Fuse Spur on to a Consumer Unit Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net