Search the forum,

Discuss Electrical certificate for own house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No problem.
So your covered for the garage and the work in that.
With regards the kitchen;
Unless you have installed any new circuits, ie. from the CU, or you have fitted a new CU, then that work is not notifiable.

As long as the towel rail, which I presume is in the bathroom, is outside of the prescribed zones, then that's not notifiable.

If the above is correct, (and I would suspect it is ) then issue a MW cert to yourself and your good to go.

Enjoy your new kitchen for Christmas and I hope you got the diversity correct.

Forget the last paragraph. I forgot, you haven't installed any new circuit.

Last edited:
No problem.
So your covered for the garage and the work in that.
With regards the kitchen;
Unless you have installed any new circuits, ie. from the CU, or you have fitted a new CU, then that work is not notifiable.

As long as the towel rail, which I presume is in the bathroom, is outside of the prescribed zones, then that's not notifiable.

If the above is correct, (and I would suspect it is ) then issue a MW cert to yourself and your good to go.

Enjoy your new kitchen for Christmas and I hope you got the diversity correct.

Forget the last paragraph. I forgot, you haven't installed any new circuit.

I'd disagree with that part, regardless of zones the bathroom is classed as a special location so any work within the room is notifiable.

A bathroom used to be a special location but that changed in 2013. A special location is now only the zones around a bath or shower. Where ever it is fitted in the house.

Extracts from Building Regs Approved Document.

This approved document supports Part P: Electrical safety – Dwellings. It takes effect on 6 April 2013 and is for use in England*. The 2006 edition will continue to apply to work begun before 6 April 2013, or to work subject to a building notice, full plans application or initial notice submitted before 6 April 2013.

Changes in the legal requirements
• The range of electrical installation work that is notifiable (where there is a requirement to certify compliance with the Building Regulations) has been reduced.

2.6 Diagram 2 illustrates the space around a bath tub or shower tray (a special location) within which minor additions and alterations to existing circuits, as well as the installation of new circuits, are
notifiable.

This is where I got confused Tel, and on the Elecsa Part P notification 'tick sheet' it just says work in a special location, no specific mention of zones.

yes. 7671 special location is about ipx protection and rcd's etc. It can all get very confusing. It amazes me just how much legislation you guys have to get to grips with. If you worked in suits they would call you Solicitors and you would be on £150 an hour.

I just like reading stuff to get me off to sleep night. I know!

Just having breakfast and browsing, before I check all the roof tiles are still on, and just in case anyone is unclear about that last line above, which I did half asleep, it should read, "I know, sad innit."

Also guys is used as a gender neutral term.

When this part P thing first came out I replaced a consumer unit and rewired the kitchen at my sisters. We informed building control, paid the fee and they had no idea what to do.

They decided in the end to get me to send them a copy of my JIB card, they sent a guy round who asked to see the bonding. That was all they looked at.

Never bothered to worry about part P since.

When this part P thing first came out I replaced a consumer unit and rewired the kitchen at my sisters. We informed building control, paid the fee and they had no idea what to do.

They decided in the end to get me to send them a copy of my JIB card, they sent a guy round who asked to see the bonding. That was all they looked at.

Never bothered to worry about part P since.

Till you come to sell your house. If you go to your local council web site, look under planning, building control, address search, it will list notifications for that address, for alterations, new circuits etc etc.

Granted no ones going to be able to tell whether a property has had alterations, additions even new circuits, but the 17th CU will be a give away to a nosey surveyor perhaps?

It's a sellers market. No "surveyor" is going to look at the CU. If there are any issues, the seller is just going to say "look do you want this house or not mate?". I have had about half a dozen false alarms in the last 6 months, where an estate agent that uses me has told the seller that he needs an EICR doing, and there have all gone TU when he has said "rollox to that unless the buyers paying for it". I don't get this about needing a certificate for work done, nobody is going to know or care anyway.

Its also a buyers market, the two work in tandem. I did some work for a customer a couple of years back, issued them with the appropriate documentation at the time, which they obviously filed in bin 13.

That was until they decided to sell & move, and 'their' solicitor wanted certificates for the recent refurbishments they had carried out in their property, including my electrical work. I provide them with copies, which stopped their panicky emails & phone calls about the matter.

Course you can carry on with a cavalier attitude
upload_2017-10-21_17-29-56.jpeg

Until it bites your bum
upload_2017-10-21_17-30-45.jpeg

LOL, I wasn't supporting the idea, just commenting on how things seem to be. I like the cavalier bit though, I always fancied myself as a bit of a swashbuckler. Anyway this is a bit rich coming from a bloke with a pterodactyl size bird feeder on top of his chimney-stack:p
I hope you billed them for the copies.

LOL, I wasn't supporting the idea, just commenting on how things seem to be. I like the cavalier bit though, I always fancied myself as a bit of a swashbuckler. Anyway this is a bit rich coming from a bloke with a pterodactyl size bird feeder on top of his chimney-stack:p
I hope you billed them for the copies.

Nope soft as s***e :rolleyes:

Electricians on electricians forums care deeply about notifications

They seem to be a unique animal,its way down the list of importance and sometimes relevance in most others peoples concerns

Get yourself a eicr from yourself if ever you sell (or if some insurance company wants a certificate) and it will be fine

There seem to be no really cluas on what's right or wrong. I only ask this question as I have left the electrical trade now and work in a different trade. the work all carried out by me and all the results are as they should be and with current regs. we are not moving as just spent £££thousands doing the house up. but was a little unsure on what was needed with paper work. at the end of the day no one should (I hope not) question my ability to what I have done but there is always something or someone out there putting a spanner in the works.

Just leave as is, as others have suggested. When you do come to sell, just see what pans out, expect the worst might happen is you'll be asked for an EICR.

As I understand things, there is a time limit on BC requiring a rectification of unauthorised works (section 36 building act 1984), although they it may still obtain an injunction to force the owner to remedy the failure of compliances at any time.

Can't see that happening in your example.

Reply to Electrical certificate for own house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back