Discuss Advice on certificates for sale of house please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

vanessap

DIY
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is my last question/post for tonight, promise.

Please can I ask for a little advice on certificates as I am now questioning myself after a quote today.

I had a consumer unit changed on behalf of my mum, I have a DEIC certificate and a building regulation certificate.
I had some rewiring and sockets added to the kitchen for my mum and received a Minor Electrical Works Certificate

Can I ask two things please, would this suffice or would an EICR be recommended?

Also can I have if light switch covers are placed, do they need a certificate?
If light pendants are replaced, do they need a certificate?
If socket plates are replaced, like for like do they need a certificate?

I am assuming that if a socket is moved then a Minor Works Certificate would be required?

I am sorry for all the questions, your advice is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Vanessa

Hi Everyone,

This is my last question/post for tonight, promise.

Please can I ask for a little advice on certificates as I am now questioning myself after a quote today.

I had a consumer unit changed on behalf of my mum, I have a DEIC certificate and a building regulation certificate.
I had some rewiring and sockets added to the kitchen for my mum and received a Minor Electrical Works Certificate

Can I ask two things please, would this suffice or would an EICR be recommended?
Circuits should have been tested when you had the consumer unit changed, so I can't see a need to have an eicr.

Also can I have if light switch covers are placed, do they need a certificate?
No
If light pendants are replaced, do they need a certificate?
No
If socket plates are replaced, like for like do they need a certificate?
No
I am assuming that if a socket is moved then a Minor Works Certificate would be required?
yes

Minor repairs and maintenance are permitted, as well as 'like for like' replacements, such as changing existing sockets, switches and ceiling pendants or even replacing damaged cables

I am sorry for all the questions, your advice is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Vanessa

In reality you are over worrying.
The only things required for a house sale are things that the purchasers solicitor discovers should be present.
What will happen is a form will arrive with some questions, one of which is “when was the fixed wiring last tested”. In most cases the vendor ticks “don’t know”. In the vast majority of cases that is ‘game over’.

In your case you now have an EIC for the consumer unit so you could write that date and supply the certificate. That is so much more than usually happens, I can’t imagine a solicitor digging any further than that.

The only other thing would be if the purchaser or their surveyor notice anything of concern and request an EICR and haggle over who pays for it. For this reason I’d suggest you get that black conduit under the CU sorted as it looks terrible and even a layman would suspect (correctly) that it isn’t installed correctly.

Don't waste money on an EICR unless the buyer brings it up, as Tim has said, unlikely if you have some certification.

If I was a prospective buyer I wouldn't rely on an an EICR carried out on behalf of and paid for by the seller.
I'd want to arrange my own and get the seller to make a conrtibution towards it, or reimburse me the total amount including any issues raised by it.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and explaining! I will definitely hold off and wait, I've been so worried about doing things incorrectly.

Many many thanks,
Vanessa

Reply to Advice on certificates for sale of house please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net