Currently reading:
For the self employed guys

Discuss For the self employed guys in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
How much are we payin to the accountant for filing tax return ?
I'm self employed one man band turn over around 50-60k so under VAT threshold. My accounts are pretty tidy ie all receipts in date order then on an excel spreadsheet which links back to my income/ sales/wages/ etc.
I'm coming to finish my 3rd year accounts now and don't want to have to pay the at least 550 that he charged last year.
He also hinted that he wants me to go limited as well this year for the extra coin. He's not a big company either I think 2 main accountants.

Cheers for looking and any advise
Graeme

I suppose the first question is: Does he save you £550 in tax to earn his fee?

Otherwise you may as well do it yourself and risk paying slightly more tax, but save the £550.

Well he had my accounts etc for a day last year so not ok bad for him ! I don't think he really saved me anything apart from the first year. So think I'll be on the lookout pretty sharpish for around 3-400. Too lazy and stupid to attempt it myself ha and also too scared if I cock it all up and get fined and / or imprisoned

I'm a LTD company, I send an Excel balance sheet at the end of every month. He also deals with my private tax, and anything else that I don't like to deal with (and thats everything). total cost this year was approx £800. He got me back approx £2,500, so in my opinion he pays for himself.
My previous "Chartered"accountant, nearly lost me a £2,500 rebate and almost incurred another £5000 bill, of when questioned he said "that seems about right" He cost £900 a year. My new accountant squashed the findings of my previous "Chartered" accountant and got me about £3000 back within a few months of taking over my accounts.

A long as he continues to recover more than he costs, he will continue to do my accounts.

Well he had my accounts etc for a day last year so not ok bad for him ! I don't think he really saved me anything apart from the first year. So think I'll be on the lookout pretty sharpish for around 3-400. Too lazy and stupid to attempt it myself ha and also too scared if I cock it all up and get fined and / or imprisoned

I've only been using a account to placate the bank whilst we have been buying, renovating and selling 2 houses and they needed "formal" accounts to work from. Once it's all done and dusted and the final mortgage signed I'll probably stop using him and do it myself. I've got 4 years accounts to plagarise! Can't be too difficult changing a few numbers!

The figures of around £300 are ridiculously cheap. I would question that any proper accountant that is so cheap might not be any good. I also pay around £800 for a limited one man band including payroll and personal tax. They should be reclaiming all sorts of things that you would have no idea about, and pay for themselves by doing so. I agree with Stevethesparks.

I have been on both sides. I was SE for 7 years. Thought I knew best and done my own assessements. When I went limited (which you should only need to do to protect your personal assets) the tax man went into full investigation mode. All the previos 6 years were investigated. Cost me about £2500 to get an accountant to sort it out.

I pay £400 per month now and that is everything. Book keeping, payroll, VAT and end of year. I have always employed accountants that were recommended to me. This would be my advice. Do not look at the cost. Look at others within your area and ask them who they use.

send everything/paperwork to the tax office its a free service
I tried that many years ago, my local tax office seemed very helpful, but they will not advise on all the things you can claim back on. When I packed up my then part time business, they sent me a bill, of which I had to use an accountant to squash, and he did. So much for trusting the tax man.

I turn over around £130k per year, sole trader, occasionally using subbies when bigger jobs come in, we do quarterly vat returns and monthly cis ourselves, my accountant is chartered and is my brother

he charges me around £350 per year for the yearly self assessment accounts, he has recommended going ltd
this would put his bill at around £900 for the year, but would save on income tax at 40% instead lwith money eft in the company, so everyone would have to crunch their own numbers to see the benefits

if your not really in the 40% tax bracket and not dealing with large jobs or contracts, going limited doesnt really seem worth the extra hassle and cost

i additionally pay my missus a bit weekly for invoicing and book keeping

If you read my earlier post you will see where Inwas coming from. I was SE for 7 years and then went to a LC so I coukd see it from both sides.

Its surprising what you can actually find out about someone from a forum user name! Fair play to you UKESRail! Do you still use sub- contractors or is it all in house now?

Reply to For the self employed guys in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock