Discuss Henley block - fuse box - what wire etc in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: Basement to 4th floor

(mv/a/m)*LB*Length/1000

I made a ruff estimate of load and decided to go with 25mm
I joined this forum for some help, my electrician that works for me said that some sparks think there something special, I only wanted a bit of advise not a load of arrogant ****s taking the ****.

Cheers for any genuine reply's

No more reply's please get a ****ing life I will stick to getting my answers for my sparks who's a decent fellow and the BS7671

MILITS
There- A place
Their- Belonging to a group of people
They're- They are

he cant ring his scheme because ii doubt there is one or an electrician, if he had one then he would have told the builder what is required.

do not put an rcd before it because there will be no discrimination and everytime something trips e.g. if a lamp blows you will have to go down to the basement to reset the rcd

Re: 4th floor supply

I posted before about supplying 4th floor from basement, thanks for any help given, thanks to all the clever electricians that said I should know how to do this.
I am going to use a Henley block to split it then a rdc because I am not happy with installation method of wire, 25m wire straight up to the 4th floor.
The volt drop on 16m wire would be fine but I am not quite sure of the load yet.
I am going to use 25m armoured wire straight from the rcd up to the 4th floor in to the new fuse box, I will check the ze before connecting the fuse box then a complete re wire of the flat.
I wanted a second opinion because I am a builder and I have only just started doing my own electrical work, I have a time served electrician that works with me but I still like different opinions I thought that's what a forum was I would help anyone in anyway I can without any stuck up remarks.

MILITIS

So you'll be putting the whole flat onto a single RCD in the basement will you? You do realise this does not comply don't you ?

How about a fuse for this submain? You don't seem to have mentioned one yet so I am at a loss as to how you've got to calculating the size of the cable?

What is the earthing system, what are the bonding requirements in the flat?
How is this SWA going to be installed? Where is it going to be installed?
Does it need fireproof supports ?
Does it need to be LSF insulated?

Re: Basement to 4th floor

(mv/a/m)*LB*Length/1000

I made a ruff estimate of load and decided to go with 25mm
I joined this forum for some help, my electrician that works for me said that some sparks think there something special, I only wanted a bit of advise not a load of arrogant ****s taking the ****.

Cheers for any genuine reply's

No more reply's please get a ****ing life I will stick to getting my answers for my sparks who's a decent fellow and the BS7671

MILITS

Matey - if you trying to win friends and influence people you have failed!

My crystal ball sees another sub standard electrical installation about to happen!

Do you mean the SWA with brown, blue and green/yellow cores ?
I've seen it on eBay, can't see the point personally bit I'm sure the Electrical Trainee will love it.

have any of you guys come across

red - brown
blue - blue
yellow - g+y

?

I had one of our lads connect one end of a 185 3½c PVC SWA to a new MCC.

Red → Brown
Yellow → Gray
Blue → Blue
Black → Black

He then asked why the neutral was fused. He hadn’t even noticed that his “blue phase” was half the size of the “neutral”.
I'd been at the other end of the cable jointing it to a 185 3½c PILC SWA while this was going on. The joint finished I’d gone to test at the end Albert had done. I think everyone on the works heard me shouting.

Thank god Albert retired, he was a bloody liability. This was just one in a long line of cock ups he made.

I’ll never understand why we changed to the harmonised colours.

Talking about aged liability - one of my customers swapped energy providers and they fitted a new gas meter (industrial size). . . . the smell of gas was around for days then the boiler stopped working, they got them back in and a different Engineer in who was gobsmacked that the previous guy had left a gas leak in 2 places around the meter and had ignored a poor pressure expressing a leak elsewhere in the factory..... basically he hadn't bothered to test the pressure or get out his gas sniffer meter and consequently could have blown the building up, apparently it was his second balls up that month and having a chat to the Engineer he was a liability and a gobsh....e who thought he knew it all.... he may do but he's ruddy dangerous too and looks like early retirement for him with a P45.

I had one of our lads connect one end of a 185 3½c PVC SWA to a new MCC.

Red → Brown
Yellow → Gray
Blue → Blue
Black → Black

He then asked why the neutral was fused. He hadn’t even noticed that his “blue phase” was half the size of the “neutral”.
I'd been at the other end of the cable jointing it to a 185 3½c PILC SWA while this was going on. The joint finished I’d gone to test at the end Albert had done. I think everyone on the works heard me shouting.

Thank god Albert retired, he was a bloody liability. This was just one in a long line of cock ups he made.

I’ll never understand why we changed to the harmonised colours.

On our single phase street lighting system, the old colours (red, yellow, blue) are used as Phase, Neutral, Phase, respectively, and not taped up mind you either. When any jointing is done, the new colours brown, black, grey, are also used in the same sequence and not taped up either!

Now when I got put on the jointing jobs, I would use the brown core as a phase, tape up the black with blue tape (neutral) and tape up the grey core with brown tape (phase).

Still following??

So a meeting on site with the inspector last week, and the dude was in meltdown at what I had done. He simply couldn't understand what was going on. I was like look, we work to the 17th now, it's simples...untaped brown is a phase..blue taped up core is neutral, other taped up brown is the other 'phase'. Nope, he still couldn't get it.

He wanted me to put red, yellow, and blue tape tags on what I had done. The thing looked like a rainbow!

Conductor 1 - Red becomes brown
Conductor 2 - Yellow becomes black
Conductor 3 - Blue becomes grey

Why do people still have trouble getting it right after so many years of having these colours?

Conductor 1 - Red becomes brown
Conductor 2 - Yellow becomes black
Conductor 3 - Blue becomes grey

Why do people still have trouble getting it right after so many years of having these colours?

I don't, it's straightforward, as you say.

In our single phase system, we have two switched conductors. The idea is if one goes down, every other column should be on. That's why I tape them up accordingly. I don't like using 3 phase colours in a single phase installation. It seems to have caused upset in my case though!

Reply to Henley block - fuse box - what wire etc in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net