Search the forum,

Discuss How do you dress for an interview? in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Quick question here.

Have recently completed my level2 2365, and have an interview at a college locally for a advanced apprenticeship. It will be half supporting their electrical department training students and half being part of the on-site maintenance team.

Apparently the interview will have a 10-minute health and safety assessment at the beginning.

I have no idea how I should dress for this interview. I am new to the industry and because this is not a typical electrician's role interviewing for other electricians but part of a college setup. I just wanted to know what is normal and what might be expected. Any ideas ladies and gentlemen?

Thanks

Dont dress "ganster" , no need for a suit etc .Just clean clothes and shoes etc . best trick. Turn phone off and do not use it whilst on the property etc .Even whilst waiting. Dont come over as a "phone junkie" ! And Given the Chance...DO ask a question.

Trousers and a short sleeve shirt, no need for a tie, shoes not trainers and as mentioned above, do not have your phone on

Dont dress "ganster" , no need for a suit etc .Just clean clothes and shoes etc . best trick. Turn phone off and do not use it whilst on the property etc .Even whilst waiting. Dont come over as a "phone junkie" ! And Given the Chance...DO ask a question.
Thanks Luke!! Much appreciated. Out of interest would this be the same going for any electrical role?

Suits and ties if you were going for a job at a lawyers or city office type job.

Look smart, remove piercings if you can and delete your Facebook profile…. 😉
No matter how good someone came across at interview we would check their social media and you would at times be surprised what it reveals.

No matter how good someone came across at interview we would check their social media and you would at times be surprised what it reveals.
The UK's top employment lawyer suggests the very same..... and her sons are examples. There is NOTHING about them on social media and most of their friends all adopt the same thinking. The chances of a persons details been searched for on the internet is super high and a great way for anyone to make an "opinion" . The past can really haunt people .

Different but the same I guess - I recently got a job at the NHS as an Electrician. I didn't want to look too "office" as that wasn't the role but obviously wanted to show some decorum, but also didn't want to dress how I do casually.

I wore a short sleeved shirt and some chinos, with my Chelsea boots. Did pop out my lip ring, but left my earring in.

Got the job. Ultimately it's about if your face fits and partly depends on how the interviews feels, but I'd say 'smart casual'

The UK's top employment lawyer suggests the very same..... and her sons are examples. There is NOTHING about them on social media and most of their friends all adopt the same thinking. The chances of a persons details been searched for on the internet is super high and a great way for anyone to make an "opinion" . The past can really haunt people .

Not existing on the internet can ring alarm bells these days too for some employers.

I think smart casual would be appropriate as well. I also think personal hygiene is equally important, hair neat, closely shaved or beard and moustache neatly trimmed, hands and nails spotless, no bad breath and not reeking of garlic or body odour would be equally important. Also general demeanour, bright eyed and bushy tailed, not hung over and definately not huffing a 6 blade reefer stuffed with Morocco's finest in the car beforehand to help with the nerves.

One more thing for when you're in the interview......

When they ask "How do you perform under pressure?"..... don't just instantly jump up on the table, grab your air guitar and start singing "Dum dum dum did-dy dumdum.... dee dum dum dum did-dy dumdum....."

Like this lot did.....

Reply to How do you dress for an interview? in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock