Discuss Is it ok to put a a normal plug on the end of an external security light? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dont listen to half these ejits on here with there regs get yourself a bit a flex a plug top an a 5A fuse put your light up connect it so you cant see any copper coming out conections clip the cable neatly leavin a drip loop at light an where it goes in the wall stick your plug on put in 5A fuse plug it in an your sorted am a time served 17th edition spark the only diffrence is i dont eat reg books for dinner its 100% safe garenteed

Flex - that's exactly what Wirepuller said way back. Daz

Correct. Fixed appliances can be connected via a plug/socket to the supply. Portable doesn't just mean 'has a plug'. Daz
So it becomes a fixed appliance and subject to PAT testing and would fail.

The question the OP asked was "Is this OK and within regs?"

Aye cause we all get our houses PAT tested

But that's not the point.

It's one thing for a group of professionals to offer 'free' advice to DIYers, it's another thing to advise a method of installation that would usually be ridiculed as shoddy and non-compliant by the same professionals within the threads of these forums.
To cap it all, most of the people frequenting this forum are, or want to be professional electricians, and here we are, in an industry on it's knees, telling DIYers that the regs don't really matter and its OK to 'bend' the rules if you don't have the skills to do it properly. Is this the example we should be setting to the 100s of electrical apprentices and trainees that read these forums?

Incidentally, many of those who live in rented accommodation with fixed appliances get them PAT tested by their landlord, letting agent or RSLs. Some of us make a living doing these tests.

What if we change the scenario just slightly, and we tidy up a length of flex for a table lamp by using a few p-clips screwed to the wall. Right or wrong? Daz

What if we change the scenario just slightly, and we tidy up a length of flex for a table lamp by using a few p-clips screwed to the wall. Right or wrong? Daz
The flex is not buried within the fabric of the building. The flex could be unscrewed from the wall for PAT inspection. If the flex was so long it needed P clips to secure it then the socket should be moved closer to the point of utilisation. Who uses screw in P clips to tidy up a table light flex anyhow? In 35 years I don't think I've ever seen it. Is it something you do often? How would your mum remove the lamp to polish the table? Have it dangling by it's flex from the last clip?
Try again....
Think about Ikea wall light fittings....

PAT testing ?? Shoddy work ??
Granted its not the way a qualified electrician would go about the job, but for goodness sake.
As long as its plugged into an RCD protected socket and the plug top is correctly fused Its acceptable and safe, surely thats what counts.
Sometimes guys, you go into this kind of stuff far to deeply.
Shall we talk about the breeding habits of penguins now. lol

Dont listen to half these ejits on here with there regs get yourself a bit a flex a plug top an a 5A fuse put your light up connect it so you cant see any copper coming out conections clip the cable neatly leavin a drip loop at light an where it goes in the wall stick your plug on put in 5A fuse plug it in an your sorted am a time served 17th edition spark the only diffrence is i dont eat reg books for dinner its 100% safe garenteed

+1 - Some discussions just become out of hand with regs bashers!

Apologies for my last post don't know what happened there.

anyway

I installed a single PIR secuirty light on detached garage with its own garage CU RCD 2 way plugged in via plug into double socket alsong side plugged in Garage door motor.

flex clipped along wood beams and through single wall vent to out side light.

only query would be going through single wall vent.

Customer wanted it all that way and wanted it plugged in.

Safe isolation is easy enough, just pull plug out, as long all tests are carried out I don't see problem with this instance.

Another classic thread

The OP obvs not a electrician asked if it was ok and its turned into a big debate with regs being quoted etc..

Why couldnt someone just reply with a good answer and leave it at that?

I don't see a problem with discussing stuff. It often brings up things which people haven't thought of. In any case, he was advised to use flex early on in the thread. Daz

Perhaps consideration could be given to a section on the forum where non sparks - one off posters to this forum needing wee jobs attended to could leave a message and a local spark could offer to do the job ?

Silly idea ?

Reply to Is it ok to put a a normal plug on the end of an external security light? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net