Currently reading:
Kitchen Unit Lights to LightSwitch - Help Appreciated

Discuss Kitchen Unit Lights to LightSwitch - Help Appreciated in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am currently getting a kitchen overhaul and want to install some unit/kick-board lights. I want to be able to control the unit lights with the light-switch which controls the down-lights in the kitchen ceiling. I have swapped the switch out for a double switch.

The lights have came for the units but they require a plug socket. I was thinking of cutting the plugs off the lights and putting them onto a transformer. As previously mentioned, there are 2 sets of lights, both require 12v power supply. One set has 10 lights each at 0.2w (2 watts in total) and the other set has 6 lights with a combined power of 2.5w.

I was thinking of cutting the plugs from these 2 sets of lights and buying a 6w LED Driver transformer to connect all the lights up to. The last thing i want to do is be able to control all of this via a light-switch which currently controls the ceiling lights in the kitchen. I have swapped this out for a 2-gang light-switch and successfully wired up the ceiling lights to one of these switches. The remaining switch i want to wire this transformer up to. Was wondering how i can go about doing this and power it from the existing lighting from the ceiling lights. However, obviously there is no neutral from this switch so where does this come from? Also, should i be using flex cable from the light switch to the transformer? Does anything need to be earthed?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S Here is a link to the transformer i am looking at. Is this suitable?

LED Driver Transformer DC 12v-6w, 10W 12w, 18w, 30w,40W for MR11, MR16 LED Strip | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Driver-Transformer-DC-12v-6w-10W-12w-18w-30w-40W-for-MR11-MR16-LED-Strip/291227662579?hash=item43ce8578f3:m:m1oUI8fA_qqZMfaQKe59ytA

Reply to Kitchen Unit Lights to LightSwitch - Help Appreciated in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back