Discuss Log cabins. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If it is of the construction in the pic,, then it'll be an oven in summer and a fridge in winter. We have two sheds, almost touching each other, but in adjacent gardens. One is like this one, and the other is timber frame, shiplap clad, plywood inside, with 3" of Celotex between. No comparison when it's cold or hot.
If you can persuade them to insulate and line, then all your problems are solved.

If it is of the construction in the pic,, then it'll be an oven in summer and a fridge in winter. We have two sheds, almost touching each other, but in adjacent gardens. One is like this one, and the other is timber frame, shiplap clad, plywood inside, with 3" of Celotex between. No comparison when it's cold or hot.
If you can persuade them to insulate and line, then all your problems are solved.
How would you get on with a igloo.

I like the thinking. I'm more likely to convince them if I let their friends sleep in it over Christmas I think, so come January I will certainly raise the idea!

If you're installing conduit, trunking or capping, bear in mind that the wood will move. If it's fairly new, the timber will dry out and shrink in width so the building might be an inch lower in a year's time. On a similar job, I used pvc conduit and left plenty of room in the joints for shrinkage of the walls.

What about dado trunking? Run it all the way round whether its needed for cables on not so that it looks fitted.

To be fair to the customer, he has only just bought the house and inherited this beautifully finished shell, with every surface including roof cladded inside. If you had a gas fire and candlelight it would be quite practical...!
Ah, that sheds some light on it. My very first thought was along the lines of the correct answer being "you should have thought about that a long time ago" - a bit like the joke about the local telling a tourist who's asked for directions that "I wouldn't start from here".
The log cabin providers could do a little more to facilitate the electrical installation.
I recall seeing one on the TV some years ago - I think it was probably Grand Designs.
He got a plan from the manufacturers of where all the support pads needed to be (equivalent to laying foundations for a brick built house), then it arrived in kit form on a couple of lorries. All the parts coded so that once the first layer was on, it was then a case of stack by numbers.
But all the timbers were pre-drilled for the electrics. Square/rectangular recesses for the switches and sockets, and holes drilled in every piece of timber where the cable runs were needed - it was done with CAD on the computer, and then CNC milled. It really was impressive the way the manufacturer had all this organised and automated.

For that one, the logs were exposed on the inside, then there was about 2 foot gap and external cladding - with the gap filled with a sheep's wool based insulation.

Reply to Log cabins. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock