Search the forum,

Discuss mcb's at origin in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jobber

i install street lighting, i use lucy cut outs at the origin then mcb's feeding my 6 flood lights at the top, they are 3 phase, a new lad in are work has been getting rid of the lucy cut outs and putting single phase mcb's in at the origin, i think that is wrong. what do you think

the mast has a 3 phase supply, the 6 400w flood lights are split with 2 lights per phase, the mcb's that are being installed by the other lads are single phase mcb's.

the mast has a 3 phase supply, the 6 400w flood lights are split with 2 lights per phase, the mcb's that are being installed by the other lads are single phase mcb's.

ideally you want a 3 phase breaker as the supply to the light posts originate from a 3 phase breaker otherwise if a single mcb trips you would then have an un-even load at the 3phase supply end which is not ideal really.

either way it shouldnt cause any real problems - but i would prefer to keep them on 3 phase mcb's.

im sure someone can confirm this.

thanks

We always provide Lucy, or Lucy style cut-outs prior to any single phase protection, on all our pole street or area lighting. And some of our poles have far more than 6 fittings....

So i'm with you jobber!!!

ideally you want a 3 phase breaker as the supply to the light posts originate from a 3 phase breaker otherwise if a single mcb trips you would then have an un-even load at the 3phase supply end which is not ideal really.

either way it shouldnt cause any real problems - but i would prefer to keep them on 3 phase mcb's.

im sure someone can confirm this. thanks

I would think the last thing you would want, is a single fault on a single fitting, taking out the whole pole!!

Reply to mcb's at origin in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock