Currently reading:
My Consumer Unit

Discuss My Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I thought Id just share what Im doing with everyone.

At present I have a 16th Edition Hager board, its full, its got 18 circuits in it, and a couple doubled up.

I purchased a plastic one 12 months ago to take 20 ways, and was just looking at changing it next week for the plastic one and back dating it.

But having 20 RCBO's in it, its going to be a pain in the --- to get it done and neat and not crammed in...

So....

I am going to order a Hager Invicta 3 8 way board so I can get 24 single phase ways in it, also leaves me loads of space and will not bling on the wall in the garage.

It will also leave a lot of space so that I can fit a surge protector at a later day, just need to by a single phase conversion kit and an incomer but it will look a million times better on the wall and 10 times easier to terminate everything.

The only thing that ill have to do is lengthen a load of the circuits, not all, but a chunk of them, and also extend the 25mm meter tails, I have to admit, im not a big fan of extending tails as I don't like a joint in them, but it will be impossible for me to draw new tails in as they go up the cavity and across and its a non starter. I think if I just double heat wrap them and crimp them well it should be fine.

Anyway, the Invicta board, at least it complies with Amd3.

Ill post photos up when I do it.

Its costing me quite a bit as ill need 20 RCBO's and the board, and kit etc, £650 in total!!

Hi,

I thought Id just share what Im doing with everyone.

At present I have a 16th Edition Hager board, its full, its got 18 circuits in it, and a couple doubled up.

I purchased a plastic one 12 months ago to take 20 ways, and was just looking at changing it next week for the plastic one and back dating it.

But having 20 RCBO's in it, its going to be a pain in the --- to get it done and neat and not crammed in...

So....

I am going to order a Hager Invicta 3 8 way board so I can get 24 single phase ways in it, also leaves me loads of space and will not bling on the wall in the garage.

It will also leave a lot of space so that I can fit a surge protector at a later day, just need to by a single phase conversion kit and an incomer but it will look a million times better on the wall and 10 times easier to terminate everything.

The only thing that ill have to do is lengthen a load of the circuits, not all, but a chunk of them, and also extend the 25mm meter tails, I have to admit, im not a big fan of extending tails as I don't like a joint in them, but it will be impossible for me to draw new tails in as they go up the cavity and across and its a non starter. I think if I just double heat wrap them and crimp them well it should be fine.

Anyway, the Invicta board, at least it complies with Amd3.

Ill post photos up when I do it.

Its costing me quite a bit as ill need 20 RCBO's and the board, and kit etc, £650 in total!!

How big is your house UK ................:wink_smile:

Its a good sized 4 bed detached property, these are the circuits below. It is just very well split down thats all.

LEFT BANK OF RCBO'S
-------------------------
6 Security Alarm
6 Smoke Alarms
6 CCTV Power
6 Lighting Upstairs
16 Dedicated Circuit for Compressor
16 Immersion Heater
20 Solar Panels
32 Garage Ring Circuit (Double with 10 doubles)
32 Sockets
32 HOB

RIGHT BANK OF RCBO'S
--------------------------
6 Front Pillar Lights, side and rear
6 Lighting Upstairs FAR
6 Lighting Downstairs FAR
6 Lighting Kitchen & Utility
10 Garage Roller Shutters
32 Sockets
32 Sockets
32 Kitchen Appliances
32 Cooker

looking at the above, it looks to me like an installation where a good install has taken precedence over cost. good on yer.

Essentially I think that all RCBOs in a house is overkill if ccts are all healthy. The two RCDs in my house have never tripped except when tested or when I have touched N-CPC when replacing something, and some of the wiring has gotta be 40+yrs old. I can see the use of them in commercial/industrial settings where groups of circuits going down would not be cool. But good luck to you mate, if you have the time and inclination, fair play.

Its a good sized 4 bed detached property, these are the circuits below. It is just very well split down thats all.

LEFT BANK OF RCBO'S
-------------------------
6 Security Alarm
6 Smoke Alarms
6 CCTV Power
6 Lighting Upstairs
16 Dedicated Circuit for Compressor
16 Immersion Heater
20 Solar Panels
32 Garage Ring Circuit (Double with 10 doubles)
32 Sockets
32 HOB

RIGHT BANK OF RCBO'S
--------------------------
6 Front Pillar Lights, side and rear
6 Lighting Upstairs FAR
6 Lighting Downstairs FAR
6 Lighting Kitchen & Utility
10 Garage Roller Shutters
32 Sockets
32 Sockets
32 Kitchen Appliances
32 Cooker

Have you left room for your cinema room, sauna & of course hot tub. :)

Essentially I think that all RCBOs in a house is overkill if ccts are all healthy. The two RCDs in my house have never tripped except when tested or when I have touched N-CPC when replacing something, and some of the wiring has gotta be 40+yrs old. I can see the use of them in commercial/industrial settings where groups of circuits going down would not be cool. But good luck to you mate, if you have the time and inclination, fair play.

If there were elderly people in the house I would always look at the installation and make a judgement based on how they would know what todo if an RCD tripped and especially if a stairlift is involved , each case merits its own judgement based upon the installation and the occupier...

I have been called out many times to reset an RCD covering several circuits with elderly involved , an RCBO means one circuit is out only...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha, how big is your supply?! That's a total of 334A. Add some diversity to those circuits as per OSG guidelines, and you'd still be looking at the 200A mark (I think anyway, I could have it totally wrong!)

I read on this forum that the diversity chart was done ages ago when you had a house with 4 circuits: power, lights and cooker, shower. You can understand if you chop up the house into more circuits then you would not be using hardly anywhere near the breaker size. EG. Power circuit for our house, up-stairs, is on a 32A breaker. There are just 2 computers plugged in and that's it.

Reply to My Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock