Discuss My Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I thought Id just share what Im doing with everyone.

At present I have a 16th Edition Hager board, its full, its got 18 circuits in it, and a couple doubled up.

I purchased a plastic one 12 months ago to take 20 ways, and was just looking at changing it next week for the plastic one and back dating it.

But having 20 RCBO's in it, its going to be a pain in the --- to get it done and neat and not crammed in...

So....

I am going to order a Hager Invicta 3 8 way board so I can get 24 single phase ways in it, also leaves me loads of space and will not bling on the wall in the garage.

It will also leave a lot of space so that I can fit a surge protector at a later day, just need to by a single phase conversion kit and an incomer but it will look a million times better on the wall and 10 times easier to terminate everything.

The only thing that ill have to do is lengthen a load of the circuits, not all, but a chunk of them, and also extend the 25mm meter tails, I have to admit, im not a big fan of extending tails as I don't like a joint in them, but it will be impossible for me to draw new tails in as they go up the cavity and across and its a non starter. I think if I just double heat wrap them and crimp them well it should be fine.

Anyway, the Invicta board, at least it complies with Amd3.

Ill post photos up when I do it.

Its costing me quite a bit as ill need 20 RCBO's and the board, and kit etc, ÂŁ650 in total!!

I would consider a 4 tier board (3 tier slotted cover) where you use the normal 3 tiers as you suggest but use the 4th for din rail mount connectors (Ideal if all cables entry is at top or bottom), this way all circuits L/N/E will terminate into the top extension rail and then you wire to your mcb's etc. You can even wire up the board at home then only have the connector bank to terminate.

Its metal underneath... surely that complies? The lid over the breakers doesn't need to be metal too does it?

I can't say as I had even thought about it.
The glazed doors are not actually glass but polycarbonate if I recall correctly. I'm sure they do a unglazed door though, although I think it has plastic parts to it.

You say that it's going in the garage, could you not just fit a plastic board (very cheap now for some reason) and then build a non combustible enclosure around it?

So... why are you changing your board ?

The only reason i want to change it is because I want everything on RCBO's and its so full its ridiculous, we are also looking at having a big ish two storey extension and will probably run it on new circuits, so would like the extra space.

The Invicta boards are very nice, they look good and there is a lot of room in them which is why i want to use one.

This is one, this must comply to AMD3, its a metal board with metal front and metal door, with metal hinges.

0011324_jk108b.jpeg

Reply to My Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net