Discuss Pimp my Regs / OSG / Other in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lister1987

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
Those that have sat them before will no doubt have done it, tutors and the like will no doubt recommend they do and serving sparks will no doubt to it.

Highlighting, marking and improving the usability of your regs (and/or other publications - OSG for example will make taking an exam (or just needing to reference something, just thst little bit easier.

What they don't tell you, or help with you with (at least not thst I could find) is exactly what and where to be highlighting (given that much of it can be personal preference) so I figured why not try and collate it all, just in case there's a gem thst you never thought of actually of highlighting as important (even though you've lost count of how many times you found yourself looking it up), even something daft as a nmenoic or word play

So let's have them, please don't let this die on its arse ?

I'll start; Actually take time to read it; I'm as guilty as most.

Remembering that ADS disconnection time for TN-C-S as 0.35 because C is the 3rd letter of the alphabet.

I find that accessing the regs is better by subject than individual bits of random highlighting none of which you can see and you have to know where in the regs/what page the highlight is to access it. So I use this quick reference guide inside the front cover of the regs to find by subject. I might add when I sat the 18th it was allowed in the exam as well.

Attachments

• 18th ed Quick Ref.pdf
    44.1 KB · Views: 50
I use the same quick ref guide and it's very handy.

I find that accessing the regs is better by subject than individual bits of random highlighting none of which you can see and you have to know where in the regs/what page the highlight is to access it. So I use this quick reference guide inside the front cover of the regs to find by subject. I might add when I sat the 18th it was allowed in the exam as well.
just printed that off. very useful.

I've never highlighted a regs book or seen a need to. I think I stuck post it notes in one before an exam once but most of them fell out when turning the pages.
Learning chapter titles and content and then section titles and content is infinitely more useful.

Thanks for sharing, I've never come across this before :)?

all i added in my 17th were a crib page of formulae in every transposition, on the inside front cover.

DSC_0534.JPG

I just do this ^, I use my label machine and mark key pages like this, so if I am looking for say info on bonding then I would know this is section 54 and go straight to that section, and can also see where the section stops – it’s a few pages so finding anything is quick.

If I can’t remember the section – I know it’s selection and errection – so go to section 5 – which is the contents see it’s 54 and go there, even if I had no clue I can go straight to the front index and see the section/subsection etc. – as a result I can usually find the correct bit very quickly.

The issue with highlighting a book, is that after a few uses the only parts that actually stand-out are the non-highlighted bits!

Also I have seen people jump straight to a section – seeing the highlighted bit, and using that; the issue is that that highlight was for a specific question or purpose – and can very well be wrong in that instance!

To me going to the section quickly is far better that searching for a random bit of highlighting – if it takes me 2 seconds to get to the right section within a couple of pages, a brief speed-read and I have the answer to any question fairly quickly.

I also use post notes – not for the regs, but for specific work, so I need to switch between the curves for D type MCB, whilst checking against SWA 90deg cable ratings, and the cable factors, whilst also making sure I am in line with section 730 – 4 post notes allows me to switch quickly rather than realizing half way through that the third time I looked at the MCB curve – I happened to get a C type by mistake!

You sure about that mate?
Sorry, meant Max Ze, stupid o'clock and not enough sleep.
[automerge]1591881767[/automerge]
I took that I stage further and combined it with the list of tables, obviously being double sided makes it slightly harder to stick in but it's worked so far as a separate doc.
[automerge]1591881940[/automerge]
View attachment 58768

I just do this ^, I use my label machine and mark key pages like this, so if I am looking for say info on bonding then I would know this is section 54 and go straight to that section, and can also see where the section stops – it’s a few pages so finding anything is quick.

image.pngimage.png
In a similar vein, you get buy these, same idea but also with section name

Attachments

• List of Tables BS 76714 QR Guide.docx
    20.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Reply to Pimp my Regs / OSG / Other in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net