Discuss Ploughcroft Renewables in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hey dont get me wrong i aint sticking up for him, here is his admission
“We grew and grew and grew with the Government incentives around solar,” said Mr Hopkins. “I think the error of my ways was that I put all my eggs in one basket, ie the solar basket.”

“We grew and grew and grew with the Government incentives around solar,” said Mr Hopkins. “I think the error of my ways was that I put all my eggs in one basket, ie the solar basket.”

Read more: http://www.electriciansforums.net/p...8-ploughcroft-renewables-5.html#ixzz27kiEWbOm

Then you shouldn't be running a multi million pound company. Your strategic planning is rubbish. I'm a one man band, and I knew it couldn't last! I made sure I had back up plans and something to fall back on. Thats why I'm a one man band, so I could survive the fall when it came.

Read more: http://www.electriciansforums.net/p...8-ploughcroft-renewables-5.html#ixzz27kiEWbOm

Then you shouldn't be running a multi million pound company. Your strategic planning is rubbish. I'm a one man band, and I knew it couldn't last! I made sure I had back up plans and something to fall back on. Thats why I'm a one man band, so I could survive the fall when it came.

he can start up again now on par with you a one man band but hes just richer

If he's apparentely made all his staff redundant then why did i see the company surveyor driving the ploughcroft van this afternoon.

I gaurantee he's lying about pretty much everything

Hopefully Mr Hopkins wont meet, "Any Bipolar customers, who asked for lots of roofing / solar work to be done, that suddenly get into unforeseen financial and mental difficulties - unable to pay their bills, believing they were a descendant of little Lord Fauntleroy, in another life.

Last edited:
If he's apparentely made all his staff redundant then why did i see the company surveyor driving the ploughcroft van this afternoon.

I gaurantee he's lying about pretty much everything

Because that will be the new company "ploughcroft ltd" that he sold to himself!

its a shame we had a growing industry , creating jobs for 1000's of people from distrubtors to scaffolders to installers , what a shame

its not just solar installers this as effected , I spoke to different trades who are feeling it too

I'm just pleased I wont be seeing him at any more Solar shows, prouncing around wearing his tool pouch as if he invented Solar (thinging he wouldnt have the nerve to go). His performance on the Dragons Den probably contributed to his ultimate downfall, "if a roofer can do it so can anyone else" !!

What irks me is that these people make alot of money from their hard working staff.
Lots of items are bought into their company over time - on account.
Then suddenly the market turns and they use the downturn to shut up shop.
Lots of people get made redundant.
Lots of assets acquired on account, never get paid for - hurting lots of smaller businesses.
Important assets get removed from the business in advance.
The limited company protects the owners, so they dont get financially hit.
Unscrupulous accountants get hired, well versed in insolvency law.
The company ceases to operate, the books dont look too good, no interested parties come forward to buy the remaining assets.
Then suddenly the owner purchases all the remaining assets at a heavy discount.
The business renames itself with the same name or similar.
The owner returns providing lots of contrite, lame excuses about why the company folded.
Carrots are then dangled in the local press about potential future employment opportunites for the local economy, giving the impression the owner is some sort of benevolent benefactor.
If anyone has any sense they'll avoid operations like this like the plague..

Last edited:
I'm just pleased I wont be seeing him at any more Solar shows, prouncing around wearing his tool pouch as if he invented Solar (thinging he wouldnt have the nerve to go). His performance on the Dragons Den probably contributed to his ultimate downfall, "if a roofer can do it so can anyone else" !!

agreed guys dont forget hes a roofer!!!

What irks me is that these people make alot of money from their hard working staff.
Lots of items are bought into their company over time - on account.
Then suddenly the market turns and they use the downturn to shut up shop.
Lots of people get made redundant.
Lots of assets acquired on account, never get paid for - hurting lots of smaller businesses.
Important assets get removed from the business in advance.
The limited company protects the owners, so they dont get financially hit.
Unscrupulous accountants get hired, well versed in insolvency law.
The company ceases to operate, the books dont look too good, no interested parties come forward to buy the remaining assets.
Then suddenly the owner purchases all the remaining assets at a heavy discount.
The business renames itself with the same name or similar.
The owner returns providing lots of contrite, lame excuses about why the company folded.
Carrots are then dangled in the local press about potential future employment opportunites for the local economy, giving the impression the owner is some sort of benevolent benefactor.
If anyone has any sense they'll avoid operations like this like the plague..

well said

Reply to Ploughcroft Renewables in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net