Currently reading:
Quick question

Discuss Quick question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

APSH

Hi gents,
just wondering about a situation I have come across. I am to fit some led tape lights (2 sets of in utility and 4 sets of in kitchen) on top and on bottom of kitchen wall units and the kits have come with a laptop style power supply. I was thinking of cutting the plug off as it is a normal one and wiring into spurs with 3 amp fuse and leaving on top of the unit, but another electrician that I do some work for said I can put a socket on the end of the cable that is supplied from the switch and plug them in and label them (the sockets) for what they are for? I don't feel this is correct as someone can potentially plug something else in with a higher load, although they will be placed on top of the wall units to the back, and I could not imagine anyone being bothered to go up there and plug in something else, also if this is true it would save wiring time. But I cant seem to find anything in the regs that jumps out and says yes or no and so thought I would come on here and ask you guys your thoughts. If any one can help me out I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance for your help

I'm guessing that you mean these socket outlets will be supplied from a lighting circuit, in which case you could just use a flex outlet or 5a socket instead of 13a sockets, if you are worried. But ultimately if the sockets are labelled for their intended use and someone sticks a kettle on them what's the worst that can happen?

As for chopping off plugs, I wouldn't worry, pretty sure the warranty will be unaffected if the work is done by a spark.

Hi, thanks for your help. It is a kit from fleebay so I probably think there is no warranty at all. The instructions don't say a lot apart from that they need to be installed to latest regs. Just thought that if it was poss then it would save on materials and time, as at the mo I need to cut the plug and wire into the spur then wire supply to spurX2 in utility and X4 in kitchen, but with sockets I could put the socket on the cable (use doubles) and plug them in. But can't find anything in BGB that says yes it is possible. Problem is I think this will be the job that I show for my next assessment so don't want to get it wrong.
anyway thanks to those that have responded, it has been a great help.

APSH

These sockets are designed for just this situation, they prevent standard plugs being used in lighting applications. as previously suggested being labled up will prevent miss use
th.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it on top of units. Just install 13a plug sockets and change the plug fuses to 3 amp. If it worries you, label the sockets.

i'm doing a kitchen at the mo with a similar set up, 3 gang wall switch first for lights then the other 2 switching separate sockets, 1 for under cabinet led lighting and the other for led plinth lights, word of advice though if they are the led strips with the smd led's on them use the waterproof ones as they have a protective coating on them, you know what people are like chucking things on top of the cupboards and boiling kettles right underneath them lol

Reply to Quick question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock