Discuss Wall socket overload in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Saltedm8

DIY
Reaction score
If someone made a request to you, to install a new double socket that would be supplying power to a tumble dryer along a circuit that does not go into a location where those types of device are usually located, like a kitchen or utility room, but goes instead from the hallway into the living room, would you think it appropriate to install it by simply splicing off another socket? Would you reasonably expect the results of such a fitting for the dryer to overload and burst the fuse over and over again? (the socket was installed a year ago, but I can only assume it was not suitable for the job intended due to the dryer being new at that time and it words perfectly ok in the kitchen now.)

I ask because I had an electrical company fit a socket and now they are trying to charge me to come out in order to 'investigate' the problem.

The location of the appliance isn't really relevant providing the circuit is adequate. What fuse was repeatedly bursting.

The 13amp fuse in the dryers plug kept bursting, but it only seems to burst when connected to that socket. Before fitting it, they did not test it or anything to see if it was adequate, I don't know if that was usual pratace.

Every time we do, it pops the fuse again. It does however (and always has) take about 20 minutes before it pops, its not instant.

Last edited:
Is there any signs or smells of burning on the plug or any of the sockets? Poor connections can cause enough heat for fuses to pop.

A tumble dryer should only take a in the region of 8 amps (2kW approx.) So it’s not popping the fuse on its own.
As suggested, it’s a problem with the socket… either a loose cable, or an old socket where the internal components have become loose, this creates heat, which is melting the fuse….. it’s just taking longer than a true overload current would.

If this socket is spurred (?) off the main circuit, in the the correct size of cable, then there should be no problem.
However, any electrical work does need to be covered by an certificate, in this case, it would be a “minor works”

If you didn’t receive any certification, then they haven’t finished the job.

So 2 years, they would have to charge to come and look…. Things can loosen over time.

But the lack of certification is a sign not to use them again.

Can we get a rough location for you (city or town) as there might be a qualified forum member nearby that could visit and advise.

Reply to Wall socket overload in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net