Search the forum,

Discuss RCD Earth Leakage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

garysparky1

I Need a little help i recently fitted a new consumer unit for a mate. The house is empty and up for sale so i thought no problem as not in a hurry continuity was ok on all circuits IR ok ,Ze 0.09,PFC 2.95kA so i changed the board then powered up and the 80a 30Ma RCD tripped i disconnected each circuit and reset it tripped on each circuit. I've since gone back with a clamp meter and found 29-39Ma running through the bonding. I clamped ( on lowest setting)the neutral and line seperately on each circuit and got kitchen N-0.70 L-0.46Ma and downstairs lights N-0.47 L 0.10 surely these differences in reads are too high can anybody steer me in the right direction. :frown2:

If you say it tripped out on each circuit (mcb) then it looks like a neutral fault.

Disconnect all neutrals and do IR again. If it is a 17th edition board with 2 RCD's make sure you have not got neutrals crossed between RCD's. Finally check if upstairs lighting has a "borrowed" neutral ie. The landing light has not got its neutral from downstairs lighting circuit.

If you say it tripped out on each circuit (mcb) then it looks like a neutral fault.

Disconnect all neutrals and do IR again. If it is a 17th edition board with 2 RCD's make sure you have not got neutrals crossed between RCD's. Finally check if upstairs lighting has a "borrowed" neutral ie. The landing light has not got its neutral from downstairs lighting circuit.

Correction meant to say upstairs!

it's an 8 way BG board with only one 80a 30Ma RCD the readings are taken from clamping each circuits line and neutral as the RCD keeps tripping MCBs are fine what do you make of the 29-39 Ma current going through the bonding ?

it's an 8 way BG board with only one 80a 30Ma RCD the readings are taken from clamping each circuits line and neutral as the RCD keeps tripping MCBs are fine what do you make of the 29-39 Ma current going through the bonding ?

So it's not a 17th edition board, i think you only have a clip on Amp meter, are you an electrician?

hmm its a British General 17th edition Board a digitron clamp meter and im 17th edition mr cat

I don't see how it is 17th edition with only 1 RCD.

Yes you have a clamp meter, good for you. You have not said whether it is your only meter.

Do you have an IR meter.

You did not answer whether you are an electrician or not.

Thank you Mr Gary

If you mean milli-amps it's mA.

Have I missed something?

How can you be testing for (and measuring some) current when the RCD won't switch on?

Have you wired the RCD neutrals correctly?

Thanks guys i appreciate your feedback i use a kewtech kt 65 for testing and used the recently acquired clamp meter to test for earth leakage but i think ive used it incorrectly as should have (correct me if i'm wrong )been testing current going through line and neutral seperately for circuit(meter set for Amps not mA) as imbalance i thought it would identify problem circuit. RCDs were removed so i could live test as wont reset, neutrals into are correct polarity. I need to check for shared neutrals and do a more thorough investigation. I am fully qualified and registered but i hav'nt done any board changes so i foolishly thought it would be straight forward !

Its very rarly straight forward you will need to retest , shared and crossed neutrals are normally the culprit ,or even a crossed earth where a neutral and earth are crossed see this a few times in lighting circuits even a trapped neutral ,so i think the best way forward is to re test , as for the earh leakage you should test for this round the earths of the circuit ,so main earth then each circuit earth till you find the circuit with the highest earth leakage and using an earth leakage tester

Thanks guys i appreciate your feedback i use a kewtech kt 65 for testing and used the recently acquired clamp meter to test for earth leakage but i think ive used it incorrectly as should have (correct me if i'm wrong )been testing current going through line and neutral seperately for circuit(meter set for Amps not mA) as imbalance i thought it would identify problem circuit. RCDs were removed so i could live test as wont reset, neutrals into are correct polarity. I need to check for shared neutrals and do a more thorough investigation. I am fully qualified and registered but i hav'nt done any board changes so i foolishly thought it would be straight forward !

You say you use the Kewtech kT65 for testing but it seams as though all the testing on this board is done with the Amp meter.

You have removed RCD because it wont reset!!!!!

You will find the faults by setting the Amp meter to Amps not mA!!!!!

You say on an earlier post the C/U has only 1 RCD so why look for shared neutrals?

Should you really be doing this?????

cowboys like you keep me in a job......

Actually its the other way round , electrical trainee's keep you out of work.....

As i sit here with 17 yrs experience and a jib gold card , twiddling thumbs wondering where all the work has gone.
Now i know , its gone to all the "qualified" sparks who have yet to do a CU change.
Im thinking its time to get out of electrical or bugger off abroad to ply my trade.

I wonder if garysparky1 will come on line to let us know how he got on with his fault finding (with his clip on Amp meter)?

Personally i cant wait!

Reply to RCD Earth Leakage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock