Currently reading:
Safe way to artificially trigger a circuit breaker ?

Discuss Safe way to artificially trigger a circuit breaker ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kiwi32

Well,we are in for an odd question here !
The situation is very simple: I would like to remotely and artificially trigger a circuit breaker.I have a regular breaker panel,and would like to put a kind of red emergency button near the load that I could push to trigger the circuit breaker and kill the whole circuit.
I am aware that normally I would just wire the load to the switch directly and use some sort of NO relay or a special switch to make this work but it is not possible in this application since I need to be able to shut down the whole circuit.
Of course I could just short the circuit (lol) but for obvious reasons this would be crazy and unsafe.So is there any reasonable ways to do it ? I doubt so but maybe you have some tips...
Thanks,

you can get emergency shut off breakers with some extra leads coming out that go to a rail mounted trigger unit, a signal to this and it flips the breakers off just like an emergency stop, cuts off the power supply a bit like an industrial Fireman's switch..these swap out in place of the breakers already in the board......take a look at siemens and schneider electric online, and a look in RS online catalogue, will be in there....
They can be powered off by a fire alarm or by a pushbutton/BMS signal.....they are also available for fire door magnetic catch closers....
There is a unit (expensive) that connects as well that has a piezo sensor and a PCB in it that detects the high pitched noise from a fire alarm/ regular battery smoke alarms and cuts the power or closes fire doors, this is for locations without a main fire panel such as some small B&B's and Cafe's etc...

All you need is a shunt trip - most of the proper brand CU manufacturers make them - 12/24VDC and 230V trigger options normally available. If you cant install cable for the trigger circuit then think about using some of the new home automation RF stuff. You can buy simple RF switches and remotes off the shelf in Maplins for next to nothing.

After investigating shunt trips I only see one problem.They take an extra breaker space: " shunt trips take an extra pole space for the trip ". In the case of this installation this is a huge problem since the breaker box is already full.Would you happen to know any shunt trips breaker that would fit in one slot only ?
Thanks,

You have been given some good advice so far, but every option dosn`t seem to suit you.
1. what are you actually try to shut down & why
2. Cant you used a boxed relay near to load..?

Kiwi, just think about what you’ve said.
With something that is safety or system critical where does one unit space come in to the equation?

It’s required and therefore necessary, budget for it in the design if needs be.

I’ve spent most of my life designing control systems. If I say a 4000A ACB needs a shunt trip it got fitted as requested.
No one has ever questioned me fitting safety circuits to a design.

NetBlindPaul, will give you the final say on this.
I’m good, he’s better and so I’ve PM’d him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Safe way to artificially trigger a circuit breaker ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back