Search the forum,

Discuss Signing Off An Electricity Certificate in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

OldManJohn

Can anyone tell me what the law is in regards to signing off an electricity certificate.

Does the person signing off the work and signing the appropriate certificate have to be associated with one of the electrical authorities e.g. NICEIC or can they be just a competent electrician not affiliated to anyone?

Thanks
John

If the work is domestic and notifiable it can be signed off by someone who is enrolled with a competent persons scheme or notified to the local authority building control, in the later case the LABC need informing prior to the work being undertaken. Oh and they charge a fortune!

There is no law
The general answer is no,you need be a member of none of them

The IET publish the various certificate formats required by electrical contractors and everybody else,Niceic,Napit Eca ,you, me and Bert from Birmingham make up our own, based on the genuine article

The add on to the above is the demand of the client
If they specify that obnoxious organisation the Niceic then that's what needs to be provided

Hang on hang on, any electrician or technically competent person can test and provide a certificate.
Notification under part P is a separate issue, achievable by membership of a part P scheme or directly to the LABC office.

EDIT: What he said ^

Hang on hang on, any electrician or technically competent person can test and provide a certificate.
Notification under part P is a separate issue, achievable by membership of a part P scheme or directly to the LABC office.

Very true Andy, the only part of your post I would change is "can",I think "should" would be more appropriate

Judging by the OP's earlier posts it would seem that he's seeking clarification to talk to his builder/sparky about.

Is this right?

Judging by the OP's earlier posts it would seem that he's seeking clarification to talk to his builder/sparky about.

Is this right?

Ah,the penny drops
It does seem like he has the problem of engaging people to do electrics who are not competent electricians
When,or if ever will the public learn to respect electricity and stop using muppets to do the work

John,you have problems because you did not follow the law regarding building regs,in your case the section called
Part p,
Certification of electrical installations and procedures for conforming with building regs are 2 different animals
It's just that certification can be used to show you conformed to some requirement of building regs

Next time you have work done on your electrics,best to get someone who has been recomended by a friend or past customer, never believe that membership of a scheme is assurance of competence,this trade has become a add on for so many other trades who think they can wire

Reply to Signing Off An Electricity Certificate in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock