Search the forum,

Discuss Simple question on running cable along a wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mate I have not meant to offend you by asking for advice on clips. If I had chance at an apprentiship I would go for it, I don't so I have to learn best I can.

Spark2be, does this mean that you are merely taking a college course and then intend to set-up as an electrician simply "having a go" and "learning the best you can"? I would strongly recommend against this.

No that is not the case. I am about to finish my level 2 and I have enrolled for my level 3 and the 17th ed regs course both starting in September. When I have completed the first year of level 3 I will be looking to gain employment in the industry so I can finish my level 3 and gain my NVQ, I am not if the AM2 will be incorporated into the NVQ yet. Problem I have is that I have a full time job with responsibilities (house, kids etc) and so can't afford to be an apprentice unless I would be earning at least £10 ph.

I have been through school got myself a degree but the thaught of spending the rest of my life in an office scares me ****less!! I wish I had done this straight from school to be honest.

I reckon give the guy a break. He's trying hard here and I reckon the original question about cable clips not gripping in plaster was a fair one. Hence the availability of pin plugs. Daz

I am very much obliged for your translation of that rough North Eastern barbarism of the English.
As a thanks, you are more than welcome to come to my club in Manchester, I'll be sure to order some of that 'Newcastle Brown' that you chaps partake in up in the 'Wilds'

Not since they closed the Newcastle Brewery & started brewing in in Yorkshire I don't !!! :angry_smile:

Kids or no kids, £10ph for a 'mate' is rather a tall order - remember work is in short supply and career changees with a technical certificate but no experience are plentiful - you only have to look at how many people there are on this forum offering to work for free to see that.
I had to leave my office job to work in a restaurant because they wouldn't let me have time off for college, then I managed to get work as a 'mate' for £7.50ph, but that was before the credit crunch - now every man and his dog wants to become an electrician.

Put yourself in an employer's shoes - would you employ some 17 year old kid for cheap who you can train up the way you want but who you have to closely supervise, you for £10ph who has their own transport and can use their initiative but still needs guidance, or someone who can do the same as you but for £7.50ph, possibly someone who even has experience already and will need less supervision?
That's a difference of around £20 a day, or £100 a week for employing someone who hasn't got kids to feed.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but you're definitely at a disadvantage.

I am very much obliged for your translation of that rough North Eastern barbarism of the English.
As a thanks, you are more than welcome to come to my club in Manchester, I'll be sure to order some of that 'Newcastle Brown' that you chaps partake in up in the 'Wilds'

I am more than pleased that they brew far more than they can consume themselves,because even in the wilds of Wales,the fine liquid has spread its tentacles

icon14.png
icon6.png

The walls in my house are plastered block work. If I were to add a spurred socket that will be approx 5m from the original is it possible to clip the cable to the wall? I don't want to chase it in and the misus is not keep on trunking. I'm sure that the plaster will just break away with clips??

iF YOUR WALLS ARE DABBED I WOULD ROD IT QUITE EASY, NO clips, ****ty trunking etc

Kids or no kids, £10ph for a 'mate' is rather a tall order - remember work is in short supply and career changees with a technical certificate but no experience are plentiful - you only have to look at how many people there are on this forum offering to work for free to see that.
I had to leave my office job to work in a restaurant because they wouldn't let me have time off for college, then I managed to get work as a 'mate' for £7.50ph, but that was before the credit crunch - now every man and his dog wants to become an electrician.

Put yourself in an employer's shoes - would you employ some 17 year old kid for cheap who you can train up the way you want but who you have to closely supervise, you for £10ph who has their own transport and can use their initiative but still needs guidance, or someone who can do the same as you but for £7.50ph, possibly someone who even has experience already and will need less supervision?
That's a difference of around £20 a day, or £100 a week for employing someone who hasn't got kids to feed.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but you're definitely at a disadvantage.

I've worked seven days a week for 2 and a half yrs, having only a day off when I'm tired or want to do something, just to have an apprenticeship so i can get the experience I need. Im not a hero, I just wanted it enough to do it

Why not just up floor boards either side and have a small chase either side to new and existing socket. Plater over with the good old one coat white stuff. Works for me everytime! No eed to surface mount or clip!

Reply to Simple question on running cable along a wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock