Discuss Simple question on running cable along a wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spark2be

The walls in my house are plastered block work. If I were to add a spurred socket that will be approx 5m from the original is it possible to clip the cable to the wall? I don't want to chase it in and the misus is not keep on trunking. I'm sure that the plaster will just break away with clips??

do it right, chase up, over and down.preferably preserve the RFC if it is one. or if you're prepared to live with an eyesore, then clip it or trunk it,

You assume right. I am in college and I have wired up and tested various exercises, however, the teaching on building techniques and tools etc is non existent.

I plan on putting the spur around 5m from the original. Original is in a bedroom, spur is to be on an adjacent wall.

if you mus t run it surface, use sticky-back trunking along the skirting board. screw and plug every 3 ft. then a riser to each socket,

I think it’s time you got an electrician to do the job for you.
At the same time get him to have a look at your dads fuse board. You oviously haven’t a clue what your doing.

I reckon your wife will be a damn sight more unhappy with a surface clipped cable. Trunking looks bloody awful, I wouldn't propose to use it in a house where I hated all the occupants so I'm never going to use it in my own home and I'll bet if you trunk it you'll hate it too.
The chasing tools are over there in the corner mate:)

You assume right. I am in college and I have wired up and tested various exercises, however, the teaching on building techniques and tools etc is non existent.

I plan on putting the spur around 5m from the original. Original is in a bedroom, spur is to be on an adjacent wall.

RFC - Ring Final Circuit. The socket you're planning to spur off, if you can prove that it's on the ring, do as Tel says, extend the ring to the new socket. That'll give you the option of adding further outlets later (easier).

Again, as T says, bury them cables, unless you've got some posh wallpaper, but then those clipped or trunked cables will look completely sh....

Chasing in is the first option I would use, you may as well learn some basic plastering skills as they will come in handy, saved me a fortune over the years.

You can also get quadrant trunking which blends in better with skirting boards.

Sounds like hard work but lift the floor boards and identify the correct cables then wire it so you maintain the ring circuit, better to do the job properly the first time. If your lucky the joists will be running the right way, if not refer to the OSG and start notching out as required. Remember to avoid putting cables close to heating pipes etc and derate the cable as applicable for your fixing method.

Rather than a quick fix, do it properly and you will learn time appreciation for a job and how to overcome problems without the customer looking over your shoulder. Just send your missus shopping until the works done.

Chasing in is the first option I would use, you may as well learn some basic plastering skills as they will come in handy, saved me a fortune over the years.

You can also get quadrant trunking which blends in better with skirting boards.

Sounds like hard work but lift the floor boards and identify the correct cables then wire it so you maintain the ring circuit, better to do the job properly the first time. If your lucky the joists will be running the right way, if not refer to the OSG and start notching out as required. Remember to avoid putting cables close to heating pipes etc and derate the cable as applicable for your fixing method.

Rather than a quick fix, do it properly and you will learn time appreciation for a job and how to overcome problems without the customer looking over your shoulder. Just send your missus shopping until the works done.

what?????

All you need to do is cut out where the new box is going, you only need to chase down to the skirting board and drill behind it, then just lift a couple of floorboards and simply extend the ring. Quick bit of filler and a lick of paint, bit of testing, job's a goodun. Simples!

All you need to do is cut out where the new box is going, you only need to chase down to the skirting board and drill behind it, then just lift a couple of floorboards and simply extend the ring. Quick bit of filler and a lick of paint, bit of testing, job's a goodun. Simples!
unless the cables are from above, then it's 7ft chases down from ceiling.

whats wrong with an extension lead under the carpet. or........ move the bloody telly.

Guys, the OP has wired a few test circuits at College and has no experience of tools or even a basic grasp of installation. I really don't think we should be encouraging him to do any work himself unsupervised as I'm sure many people will be very upset if he hurts or even kills himself...

Reply to Simple question on running cable along a wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net