Currently reading:
Stripping TE Cable

Discuss Stripping TE Cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

khushj

-
Reaction score
Stripping TE by using the the cpc can stretch the unprotected cpc and lead to thinning of the cross sectional area, which in turn can affect the cables resistance. Discuss.

I have seen this stated on various sites.

Yes this is true but the csa will only change very slightly due to the force applied.

Lets suppose we have a 1m length of TE with 1mm cpc.
Using stress/strain relationship for copper ( Young's modulus) then a force of 10000Newtons will be required to stretch the cpc by 0.09mm ie 9 hundredths of a mm.!! The force can be equated back to a weight of 1000Kg.

So if a weight of 1000Kg is applied to the cpc then it stretches 0.09mm, this is hardly going to affect the cross sectional area of the cpc.

Tthe force required to strip the TE is most likely to be around 100N, ie 10Kg, this will stretch the cpc by 0.0009mm. This will result in the cpc cross section changing very very very very very slightly.

Therefore using the cpc to strip TE is hardly going to affect the cross section of the cpc when using it to strip the outer sheath. This in turn will not affect the cpc resistance either.

I had never thought about the stretching of the cpc before :eek:

Having stripped twin and earth for eons using the cpc, there must be untold dwellings with undersised cpcs that I performed on

I do this all the time, never had any problems, i leave enough cable to be able to strip back and cut off the bit i've had my pliers on. Cant see the resistance altering enough to make a difference really, a bit over the top in my opinion......but that is my opinion.

Reply to Stripping TE Cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock