Search the forum,

Discuss SWA Cable termination in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Don't agree that the cowboy should be given a second chance. If they've done a shocking job like this, do you really think they'll be able to come along and fix all issues?

Looks like they've brought the feed in through the back of the DB in the shed as well making it impossible to gland off.
That's a good point, there is no slack on the cable on either end, therefore like you say, no chance of adding a gland. Do you think am I looking at starting over from scratch with a new cable?

Wouldn't say so, you can probably utilise what you have in place.

Whats on the other side of the wall where the DB is? One way would be to take the feed back out, gland it into an adaptable box and then bring the cores through the hole made into the DB.

The supply end looks a bit busy, maybe another photo of the setup from slightly further away will help us see what's going on so we can advise what could potentially be done at that end too.

How long was the bloke at your house for? Do you have any photos of how the SWA is ran to get to the outhouse?

Wouldn't say so, you can probably utilise what you have in place.

Whats on the other side of the wall where the DB is? One way would be to take the feed back out, gland it into an adaptable box and then bring the cores through the hole made into the DB.

The supply end looks a bit busy, maybe another photo of the setup from slightly further away will help us see what's going on so we can advise what could potentially be done at that end too.

How long was the bloke at your house for? Do you have any photos of how the SWA is ran to get to the outhouse?

Nothing on other side of wall, cable Is clipped along the exterior wall of the house and goes directly through the wall to shed and main board in the house, see below pics.

IMG_20211025_214109748.jpg

IMG_20211025_214125900.jpg

Below are better pics of the main board in the house.

IMG_20211025_213515973.jpg

IMG_20211025_213613920.jpg

IMG_20211025_213730356.jpg

From wat I can see, the earth from the SWA goes to the mains switch, the live goes to the smaller of the two new breakers, with another live coming from the smaller breaker to the new main breaker for the shed. The neutral from the SWA goes directly to the main shed breaker. Then the cream cable connects the mains switch to the main shed breaker.

Last edited:
Deleted

Looking closer at the pics that is a three core cable. The pic at the board shows a cpc in the cable and the original pics shows a cpc into the switch fuse. Nevertheless it is a dire installation.

It's a joke. We can talk about pride in our work but when someone is so incompetent, pride doesn't come into it.
FFS, he's even fixing 20mm conduit with knock on clips.
He's done it off the cuff.

Demand an Electrical installation Certificate before you part with any money and see what they come up with.
No way would a time served electrician or, from members on this forum, a qualified Domestic Installer offer such a load of rubbish.

Gawd that is gaggin'.....

At least most to$$ers know what a gland is, even if they can't fit them correctly.

Really? I was gonna give him the chance to put right, but I must admit I'm worries that I won't know what right and what's not.
If you have the chap's (or chapette's...botchery is an equal opportunities 'skill') then I would get trading standards involved and use the case precedent recently posted on here under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Regulation 2008.

Whatever you do, don't pay him.
Haven't paid anything yet but will need to contact him soon to see if he can put right.

I'm up to speed with what he needs to do on the shed side of things, however correct me if I am wrong.

Gland the end of the armoured cable into a box on exterior wall and the carry cable through from box to the board (cable is not long enough to gland on inside). Add an earth wire from SWA gland to consumer unit, add a mains switch and adapt wiring to suit.

Can anyone tell me, what should he be doing on the supply end at the house? Is he on the right track with the RCB and MCB getting fed from the mains switch?

I'm assuming he also needs an earth coming from a gland at supply end in addition to the earth from the SWA cable, do both earth's go to same place?

If someone may be kind enough to explain what should happen at the supply end, it will help me have the conversation with him and I can guage the response and decide what to do from here.

As always all advice is very much appreciated.

On a side note, I think I know the answer, but is it possible to run three double sockets from a Spur?

My understanding is that if spurred from a socket, max is one double socket. Multiple can only be added if they are fused or taken from a junction?

Haven't paid anything yet but will need to contact him soon to see if he can put right.

I'm up to speed with what he needs to do on the shed side of things, however correct me if I am wrong.

Gland the end of the armoured cable into a box on exterior wall and the carry cable through from box to the board (cable is not long enough to gland on inside). Add an earth wire from SWA gland to consumer unit, add a mains switch and adapt wiring to suit.

Can anyone tell me, what should he be doing on the supply end at the house? Is he on the right track with the RCB and MCB getting fed from the mains switch?

I'm assuming he also needs an earth coming from a gland at supply end in addition to the earth from the SWA cable, do both earth's go to same place?

If someone may be kind enough to explain what should happen at the supply end, it will help me have the conversation with him and I can guage the response and decide what to do from here.

As always all advice is very much appreciated.

On a side note, I think I know the answer, but is it possible to run three double sockets from a Spur?

My understanding is that if spurred from a socket, max is one double socket. Multiple can only be added if they are fused or taken from a junction?
You haven't paid him that is good. As previously stated find an electrician to correct this shambles it is no good asking on here in the hope this individual will follow suit and carry out the compliant job they should have done in the first place. Wash your hands of them.

do not get him back. he is a complete idiot. don't pay. get a real sparks to quote on putting it right.

Can anyone point to the regulation confirming that SWA glands must be used?

510.3 is the only one I can think of which states equipment shall be erected taking into account the manufacturers instructions. Not too sure if the SWA manufacturer actually make a recommendation of using armoured glands however.

Can anyone point to the regulation confirming that SWA glands must be used?

510.3 is the only one I can think of which states equipment shall be erected taking into account the manufacturers instructions. Not too sure if the SWA manufacturer actually make a recommendation of using armoured glands however.

Good workmanship would cover this. How else would you terminate a SWA without a gland and maintain good workmanship.

Except possibly using a PVC compression gland for isolating the earth if TTing something maybe.

As rough as it is, I think you'd struggle to find regulations that this install has broken.
The steel wires are only connected at the shed end, which is bad practice, but contravenes nothing, as long as the copper equivalent csa of the number of wires connected is sufficient, which I would estimate they are. Should have sleeving on them, but that's a minor point.
At the house end, the only regulation breaches (from an English point of view) that I can see, are the single sheathed blue and brown, lack of strain relief, non fire resistant enclosures, and possible IP rating issues.

As rough as it is, I think you'd struggle to find regulations that this install has broken.
The steel wires are only connected at the shed end, which is bad practice, but contravenes nothing, as long as the copper equivalent csa of the number of wires connected is sufficient, which I would estimate they are. Should have sleeving on them, but that's a minor point.
At the house end, the only regulation breaches (from an English point of view) that I can see, are the single sheathed blue and brown, lack of strain relief, non fire resistant enclosures, and possible IP rating issues.

And most of those things would be against the good workmanship regulation.

Reply to SWA Cable termination in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock