Search the forum,

Discuss SWA Cable termination in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you gland at least the supply end properly then you protect the outer sheathing if it becomes live. If you cut through the SWA with an earthed armour there will be a protective device operating whereas without that earthing the outer armour will not necessarily operate the protective device. no?

If you gland at least the supply end properly then you protect the outer sheathing if it becomes live. If you cut through the SWA with an earthed armour there will be a protective device operating whereas without that earthing the outer armour will not necessarily operate the protective device. no?
Correct, but there's no actual reg. to support this; just good sense and good practice.

Fully agree, but if you're going to challenge this work, you really need black/white violations of regulations, not something as subjective as poor workmanship.

You can't put every example of bad workmanship in as a reg. The regs would be 3 times the thickness they are now.

Reg 8264.34.344.33 'All compression glands must be tightened sufficiently'

Etc.

Even to my untrained eye workmanship is poor and I'm not.happy with it however, if we put the workmanship aside for a second, can someone please tell me what needs to be done to make it safe?

If a gland with an earth was added at the supply end to protect the outer metal in the SWA sheathing, does that make it a safe install?

Should the wires from the SWA then stay as is, connected the the earth terminal in the consumer unit in the shed?

I'm really worried about the safety aspect, I can ask for it to be tidied up and am happy.to argue that point, safety is my top priority though, as this is my mums house and I want to make sure it's safe.

the supply end of the SWA needs to be properly glanded. not really important about the other end. if cable is short, then a galv. metal box can be used for the gland, then cable extended into CU.

as long as the copper equivalent csa of the number of wires connected is sufficient, which I would estimate they are. Should have sleeving on them, but that's a minor point.
Can. I ask what you mean by the copper equivalent CSA of the number of wires mean?
At the house end, the only regulation breaches (from an English point of view) that I can see, are the single sheathed blue and brown, lack of strain relief, non fire resistant enclosures, and possible IP rating issues.
Also if you don't mind, could you breakdown the above for me, what can be done to fix these issues please.

You have been told several times to seek the services of an electrian they will know how to rectify it. The forum whilst happy to help DIY members draw a line whereby the advice given maybe applied incorrectly.
Understood. I won't be applying any measures myself. I'm finding it difficult getting another electrician to come out, so just looking for advice on what can be done to put it right, so I know I know what to look for if the electrician puts it right.

Can. I ask what you mean by the copper equivalent CSA of the number of wires mean?

Also if you don't mind, could you breakdown the above for me, what can be done to fix these issues please.

Just get a decent electrician in. They will not need you to tell them what needs doing, and may even be offended if you try to do this.

Or are you thinking of doing the work yourself?

Just get a decent electrician in. They will not need you to tell them what needs doing, and may even be offended if you try to do this.

Or are you thinking of doing the work yourself?
Definitely not gonna touch it myself, I wouldn't touch electrics, that's a job for trained professionals.

It's just if I get the chap back, I'd like enough knowledge to know if he's putting it right. I'll keep looking for another electrician.

131.3.1 Protection from Thermal effects - With a layer of insulation missing the thermal insulating properties is compromised,

132.7 Type & Method of installation - Not using correct installation methods re; glands

133.3 Conditions of installation - Without the gland there will be stresses on the cable that it's not design for

134.1.1 Good workmanship - No explaination needed

134.1.4 Connections, without thr correct glanding you won't have an electrically and mechanically sound connection.

134.2.1 Initial Verification - I'd like to think this wouldn't pass a decent IV with the cable in that state.

And that's just Chapter 13, you could easily pull regs from Parts 4 & 5to bolster the argument

Reply to SWA Cable termination in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back