Currently reading:
Testing breakers

Discuss Testing breakers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Eddiesparks

Interesting that we dont test mcb's like we do rcd's. To see if they trip as according to their time/current curves. I'm guessing the practicalities of the test gear is why? Anyone else got any suggestions?!

This topic has been discussed before, I'm sure a search will reveal lots of info.

But the basic problem is that to test it properly will make it unsuitable for continued use.
Manufacturers test samples from each batch, these samples are then thrown away after testing as they will be damaged by the test process.

Interesting. Amazing they are not all tested. There must be a few out there then (esp b&q £50 CU s) that wouldnt trip at the right time/ current surely?!

I know they are manufactured to a BS number but so are rcd's and we still test them.

Surely a variable resistor that you can stick across L and N would do the trick with a nice tasty BANG!! :)

You would only destroy/damage them if you passed a current equal or more than their rated KA breaking capacity. The main or overwhelming reason why they are not called on to be tested after installation, is the cost of the test kit that would be needed to test MCB's, eg, ''A Primary current injection'' test set... Were talking several 1000 pounds. MCB's are actually generally very reliable and a proven means of protection, far, far more reliable than RCD devices....

We test all our MCCB/ACB/GCB's etc on our main Distribution/Switchboards using Primary and Secondary injection testers, so we have the means to test any of our MCB's if they are/become suspect, but don't test them as a matter of course....

Reply to Testing breakers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock