Discuss Two Lights One Switch Trips Or Blows Every Time in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

A-H

Hi All!

I'm currently trying to add some lights into my garage. I brought a pair of LED fluorescent style lights but am having trouble with them.

I've managed to get them to light up but every single time I switch the light switch it either blows a fuse or trips the breaker on the board.

I have wired as follows (I'll also add a wiring diagram to how I've wired it).

45A Switched Isolator
⬇️
13A Swithed Fuses Spur
⬇️
Two Way Light Switch (Only using One Way)
⬇️
Light One
⬇️
Light Two

The switch common is the live from the spur and the other side of the switch labelled one way is the live from the light.

I can figure out why I can't get this to turn on and off without blowing a fuse or tripping the breaker. All help is greatly appreciated!

Two Lights One Switch Trips Or Blows Every Time IMG_4997.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Have you taken the switched live into the first fitting? your diagram is a bit, shall we say "not very good" What size fuse do you have in the 13 amp spur unit?

Sorry for the drawing. Both lights have Live, Neutral and Earth, light one has one of each and light two had the L,N,E from light one and also L,N,E from the switch.

Sorry for the drawing. Both lights have Live, Neutral and Earth, light one has one of each and light two had the L,N,E from light one and also L,N,E from the switch.
What size is the fuse in the spur, I ask because led lights do have an inrush current to light them.

I wired this yesterday without the 13A switched fused spur straight into the 45A isolator and it worked and the lights turned on straight away, the then pressed the light switch and it tripped the RCD in the house. I added the 13A Fused spur today wired it all it, before I could even turn on the light switch it had blow then 45A fuse which is very old and rewireable so may not have been a 45A filament. It also blew the 13A in the house which is just before a wall socket. As previous owners wired it into the downstairs socket power. Didn't trip the RCD this time. I have photos of all connections and from what I can see they're terminated correctly.

LIGHT 2
Two Lights One Switch Trips Or Blows Every Time IMG_4998.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

LIGHT 1
Two Lights One Switch Trips Or Blows Every Time IMG_4999.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

SWITCH
Two Lights One Switch Trips Or Blows Every Time IMG_5001.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

SPUR WITHOUT WIRING FROM ISOLATOR. WIRING FROM ISOLATOR IS IN THE REMAINING TERMINALS.
Two Lights One Switch Trips Or Blows Every Time IMG_5003.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Also I had wired a double socket in the garage the day before in the same isolator so I am confident that it's wired correctly as it works fine.

Also I had wired a double socket in the garage the day before in the same isolator so I am confident that it's wired correctly as it works fine.

Hum ............ obviously something is amiss....................... I guess I'm wasting my time asking this but do you have any test kit?

I wired this yesterday without the 13A switched fused spur straight into the 45A isolator and it worked and the lights turned on straight away, the then pressed the light switch and it tripped the RCD in the house. I added the 13A Fused spur today wired it all it, before I could even turn on the light switch it had blow then 45A fuse which is very old and rewireable so may not have been a 45A filament. It also blew the 13A in the house which is just before a wall socket.

Are you an electrician? Or a trainee? Or a DIYer?

This is turning into a step by step guide which we don't allow I'm afraid so I'm closing the thread.

As already advised basic testing of the circuit will easily highlight the problem wherever it lies. The circuit shouldn't have been energised until basic testing was completed anyway.

Reply to Two Lights One Switch Trips Or Blows Every Time in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock