Currently reading:
Using cpc as neutral

Discuss Using cpc as neutral in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

is it dangerous to use the cpc in a twin / earth cable? I know it's not safe in case someone else thinks it's still an earth but is that the only reason?
Might not be the same csa as the Phase conductor, not insulated over the entire length, what are you using as the cpc if you bodge the job by using it as the N, IT'S WRONG and against the Regulations, nothing else springs to mind other than it's Muppetry to do it.

Commonly these are from a new member with a blocked profile :rolleyes: .

MODs... Is this 'blocked profile' a glitch as the last member who had this said they hadn't changed anything?

MODs. Carrying on from my text above:
I was curious if others also have enabled this feature. I when to the New Member Introduction section and it looks like the members who have New EF Member under their name all have this profile blocking feature enabled.
It looks like it might be a fault.

@Dan @Lou You may want to look into my post above regarding the blocking of viewing the profile.
It looks like its a bug.

Well .......... each cable should have a continuous CPC from the CU - can't remember the reg no.
Cpc has to be present at every termination but in fact you can get it from wherever you like.
You can even oversleeve a green and yellow insulated core with brown in a multi core cable and that still complies with the regs. But you'd only do that if you were struggling to avoid a lot of redecorating!
The bare cpc is not insulated that would be your main problem.

is it dangerous to use the cpc in a twin / earth cable? I know it's not safe in case someone else thinks it's still an earth but is that the only reason?
Same applies to any conductor that isn't identified correctly but that would show up pretty quickly in testing. The main issue is the lack of insulation and the requirement to get an earth to every termination.

Hi - not to joust, but not a good idea imho and may be prohibited by 514.4.2 .
Agree it's a terrible idea when designing from scratchs but i don't agree it's dangerous and it would be picked up straight away by anyone working on the circuit.
That reg says you can't identify with green and yellow but you can insulate with green and yellow and identify by over sleeving just like identifying any other. And also you aren't allowed to use over sleeving to identify single core cables.
It's a bit like the two circuits in one accessory problem, or rings split side to side. Might confuse people but they probably are the kind of people who connect all reds and Black's in a light and wonder why the switch pops the MCB

Last edited:
Cpc has to be present at every termination but in fact you can get it from wherever you like.
You can even oversleeve a green and yellow insulated core with brown in a multi core cable and that still complies with the regs. But you'd only do that if you were struggling to avoid a lot of redecorating!
The bare cpc is not insulated that would be your main problem.

So you've given me a disagree ............ hum

Reading the OP between the lines I imagine he wants to use the CPC as SL or similar .............. hence my reply.

MODs... Is this 'blocked profile' a glitch as the last member who had this said they hadn't changed anything?

I don't have any blocking issues as a Mod but yes it doesn't allow me to view if I log out and try view as a visitor, I assume its part of the approval system all new members are now on, it's part of the fight against spamming that we now approve all posts and activities from new members hence you haven't seen any of the spam for a while.

So you've given me a disagree ............ hum

Reading the OP between the lines I imagine he wants to use the CPC as SL or similar .............. hence my reply.
No offence, unfortunately i can't do any more detailed explanation at that point! But i was addressing a part of your post not your usual excellent standards!
I do think that when people are asking this kind of question, we should be precise about why it's not allowed, and appeal to both the regs and to common sense specifically where appropriate.i think a lot of things that are uncommon in domestic are actually within the regs, and sometimes the boundary between what is allowed and what isn't seems to defy common sense, but as long as we discuss properly we will help everyone to learn something new.

Reply to Using cpc as neutral in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back