Search the forum,

Discuss what impact driver do you guys use? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Never realy had the need for an impact driver as an electrician.
Used them when doing vehicle repair and maintenance, and when working as a maintence engineer in a factory.
The type I have though, is one you thump with a hammer and is made by SnapOn.
Square shaped with rounded corners and I believe 32mm across, so a spanner can be used for added torque.
Are you thinking of an impact wrench?
An impact driver is basically a cordless screwdriver which starts 'hammering' in the screw once it bites, which saves your wrists and offers much higher screwdriving power than an equivalent sized drill.
As an electrician I find mine is useful for putting up trunking, taking down trunking, screwing backboxes to walls, screwing down floorboards, unscrewing floorboards, fixing conduit saddles, screwing battens to walls, fixing noggins between joists, screwing wall lights to walls and ceiling lights to ceilings, and basically anything that involves screwdriving.
My 10.8v fits in my pocket as well, which is handy when working at height or when I need my tools to hand.
th

(Not actual size)

Milwaukee 12v, brilliant bit of kit. Use the 3ah batteries and it lasts for ages. Keep an eye out for the road shows they have at wholesalers, if you have cash then they are ready to deal. Got screwdriver, impact, combi drills and 2x3ah batteries for £220 + VAT.

Milwaukee 12v, brilliant bit of kit. Use the 3ah batteries and it lasts for ages. Keep an eye out for the road shows they have at wholesalers, if you have cash then they are ready to deal. Got screwdriver, impact, combi drills and 2x3ah batteries for £220 + VAT.

is the 12v strong enough to use a 2" holesaw

doing a lot of trunking atm

Last edited:
Hi guys wondering if you can help me. I have an 18V makita drill like this: makita.jpg

But I want to buy an impact driver that will take the same batteries as the above. But all the ones I have seen only use them newer Li-ion batteries? Anyone know where to get an impact driver that takes the same batteries as my drill?

i wouldn't use an impact driver to drill holes in trunking. all you'll do is smash the cutter or pilot bit and buckle the trunking

I had some wood spade cutters once what said for impact drivers, munched though joists...

forgot what make it was now, i'm sure it met its maker after a meeting a nail

I have a 12V Black and Decker Professional Drill (forerunner to Elu and DeWalt), with two hammer settings, that I purchased in 1991.
I purchased the Drill because it used the same batteries as a Black and Decker cordless hedge trimmer.
The drill (and hedge trimmer) found much use when I purchased a house in 1994, however since leaving my then wife and house has found little use since.
I mostly use it to remove rust on motorcycle frames (where an angle driver will not fit), on restoration projects.
The only time I use a drill as an electrician, is to make holes in masonary, etc.
For such, I use a 24V Bosch.

I have a 12V Black and Decker Professional Drill (forerunner to Elu and DeWalt), with two hammer settings, that I purchased in 1991.
I purchased the Drill because it used the same batteries as a Black and Decker cordless hedge trimmer.
The drill (and hedge trimmer) found much use when I purchased a house in 1994, however since leaving my then wife and house has found little use since.
I mostly use it to remove rust on motorcycle frames (where an angle driver will not fit), on restoration projects.
The only time I use a drill as an electrician, is to make holes in masonary, etc.
For such, I use a 24V Bosch.

ah i see so your a domestic electrician.

forgot to mention the reason i wanted one of the more expensive drills is it is going to be used in everything from industrial,comercial to domestic

the work we do is very varied, most of the time working as a spark doing data,power,controls etc and occasionally we will have wheelbarrow in hand doing block paving or any other task that needs doing

(do a lot of galv trunking so need something with a bit of kick to keep up with drilling a lot of 2" holes in trunking)

No, I conduct very little domestic work.
Obviously I do some domestic work, but the majority of my work has has not been domestic, far from it.
Yep, trunking, tray, ladder, conduit, basket etc.
BMS, HVAC, door access, alarms, PA systems, data, power, lighting, even some CCTV.
Maintenance, refurbishment, new installation even rail work (signaling, earthing, power and lighting).
Most notable projects I've worked on are: O2, Emirates Stadium, St Pancras, Channel tunnel, Olympic Park Victoria Underground station.
Worked on a number of hospitals, colleges, schools, hotels, office blocks, animal laboratories, retail.
In retail, I've worked on LloydsTSB banks, Selfridges, John Lewis, the ex Alders in Oxford St. (now Primark), Westfield Stratford, The Stables Camden Market.
Worked in food manufacturing, maintenance and refurbishment.
Even worked in a sewage plant.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I conduct very little domestic work.
Obviously I do some domestic work, but the majority of my work has has not been domestic, far from it.
Yep, trunking, tray, ladder, conduit, basket etc.
BMS, HVAC, door access, alarms, PA systems, data, power, lighting, even some CCTV.
Maintenance, refurbishment, new installation even rail work (signaling, earthing, power and lighting).
Most notable projects I've worked on are: O2, Emirates Stadium, St Pancras, Channel tunnel, Olympic Park Victoria Underground station.
Worked on a number of hospitals, colleges, schools, hotels, office blocks, animal laboratories, retail.
In retail, I've worked on LloydsTSB banks, Selfridges, John Lewis, the ex Alders in Oxford St. (now Primark), Westfield Stratford, The Stables Camden Market.
Worked in food manufacturing, maintenance and refurbishment.
Even worked in a sewage plant.

misread your post.

i read it as you only use drill for masonary, my mistake.

quite a variety there.

personally only really worked on a bunch of hospitals doing access,bms etc and littls domestic.

been in same hospital 5 days a week for last 5 months or so

Masonary to me, is brick, breeze and concrete.
Obviously I use a drill for cable entry holes in panels, back of beeza boxes, earth tag holes in trunking, etc.
My point being, that I do not use drills for tightening fastners.
Had a nice long project a few years back, doing door access controls for City University, which included buildings at Barts, Moorfields and the London.
Easy work, lots of students to ogle, and pretty good hours.

Reply to what impact driver do you guys use? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock