Search the forum,

Discuss What should an electricians mates expectations be? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mike Blair

I finished my level 2/3 2365 diploma. During that time i gained about one years worth of work experience mostly domestic. im doing my 17th edition as we speak and i have got my cscs card. i was thinking to apply for an electricians mate job in my area. but what are there expectations? as i lack in some particle knowledge

It depends on the employer - you should just be doing the donkey work (installing containment, pulling in cables), but some firms will use you as cheap labour. This is a mixed blessing - you get to put into practice what you've learned at college in a real-life situation, but ultimately they're using you as cheap labour. Either way you should be supervised, or at least have your work checked before it's energised.

i was going to work as a laborer @ £7.50 , £8 a hour few months to get a van and then work but theres a few jobs around here needing people asap. you think they will pay £7.50 , £8 or will they pay buttons and sticks haha. il call them up and send my cv and see what happens :3 got to start somewhere :)

Before I fully qualified I was working on on an agency job for a big M&E outfit with blue hats. I was getting £9.50 an hour but was working on my own from layouts doing bits of everything. One of the foremen took a shine to me and to this day when I see him on other sites he says I was the best bloke he had on that job. If your decent enough they will try and put you on your own and expect everything like they did with me but I took that as a good thing that they trusted me.

It was only agency at the time Tony and if anything this big company have been laying off the last three years or so. I would have loved to have got on with them permanent.

Reply to What should an electricians mates expectations be? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock