Discuss When electrics go wrong!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You guys have seen this before, but thought it was worth posting again, the smell in the room was a very distinctive fish smell, it comes from running two 3Kw fires off the same double socket, neither the MCB or RCD reacted to the overload, just got very smelly in the room.

When electrics go wrong!!! Electrical - 1 of 1 - EletriciansForums.net

You guys have seen this before, but thought it was worth posting again, the smell in the room was a very distinctive fish smell, it comes from running two 3Kw fires off the same double socket, neither the MCB or RCD reacted to the overload, just got very smelly in the room.

View attachment 93240
That’s quite concerning that neither protective measure reacted to that. 😳

Then again if nothing created a short then it’s a failure of the socket. Especially if it was connected to a 32a MCB as 26a it would be happy with. Guessing the materials in the socket weren’t rated to withstand 26a for that long.

The socket was Legrand, but the MCB and feeding RCD where both Hager and both tested out as per the specifications for them, I can only think that the fan and thermostat's for the heaters did not come on at the same time consistently, so an intermittent accumulative overload over a long period.

The socket was Legrand, but the MCB and feeding RCD where both Hager and both tested out as per the specifications for them, I can only think that the fan and thermostat's for the heaters did not come on at the same time consistently, so an intermittent accumulative overload over a long period.
The back plate looks a bit corroded, maybe contacts were a bit tarnished as well?

In any case a 30% overload (26A on 20A rating) is not likely to trip a MCB but would definitely be considered unacceptable design practice. I guess the approval of double sockets was kind of based on the assumption you would not have two max loads on the same one...

The corrosion is quite normal on the ground floor of an old French farm house, no DPC or DPM so walls are always damp, if does not seem to bother the French,

Believe it or not they where not on each socket, but supplied off an extension lead onto lefthand outlet, oh can I say receptacle. 😎

Got a call out yesterday afternoon. Told electrics had tripped, turned back on and keeps tripping every few minutes so could I come and check as had no power to sockets, kitchen and half the house.

Arrived to find the following:

When electrics go wrong!!! 95F591D5-0ADF-44D3-9260-4482BB9580F2 - EletriciansForums.netWhen electrics go wrong!!! 1E579835-39E6-4EA0-8905-E83F0A81DC28 - EletriciansForums.netWhen electrics go wrong!!! 6EE183AD-F973-4447-AEC8-6A8E29CF3D32 - EletriciansForums.net

Basically the far right breaker was a 50A supply to a second DB for one half of the house (big old farmhouse) which includes a 10.5kw shower, sockets, immersion and lights. Also 2 x 32a socket circuits (one of which was the kitchen) a 20a socket circuit and 16a second immersion.

All hanging off a 63a RCD and the board had never been checked in the 18yrs since it was installed.

So I managed to give them some power back. But told them they need a new board now asap and a full EICR doing, as I wouldn’t change a board without doing it anyway (especially not on house where I’ve been called to a melted board) and investigation was needed to check why that 50A breaker had obviously also overheating given the melted plastic around the busbar connection.

Received from customer:

View attachment 94306

Going to see it later today, apparently the fitting says "Made in West Germany" on it, so first question is how many others they have.
Second question is what that taped up wire is doing.
Taped wire will be the permanent live for if this was to be an emergency light. Currently (hopefully!) choc-blocked and then taped.

The Berlin Wall fell in ‘89 I think… all thanks to knight Rider himself, David Hasselhoff.
One of my regrets was not going to the Pink Floyd concert in Berlin to mark that.

There was a minibus going from Dundee arranged by Groucho's (closed now, was 2nd hand record shop and outlet for local gig tickets) but various friend could'nd be bothered and I gave up on the idea.

One of my regrets was not going to the Pink Floyd concert in Berlin to mark that.

There was a minibus going from Dundee arranged by Groucho's (closed now, was 2nd hand record shop and outlet for local gig tickets) but various friend could'nd be bothered and I gave up on the idea.

You'd need to go for a week just to listen to one Pink Floyd song though!!

I remember groucho’s!

The nightlife was varied when I lived up there.
No1’s, Deacon Brodies, O’Neills… student union, of course.
Mardi gras, fat sams, de’stihls….

That all stopped when we moved to the posh end of Carnoustie

Reply to When electrics go wrong!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock