Discuss When electrics go wrong!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

They had double screws on every connection except the earth bar, didn’t they.
Certainly reduced the chances of a connection problem more than some of today’s lovely jubblies.
The double screws just seemed like such a good professional approach.

In the past, if extending a CPC with a choc-block I would have the two conductors passing each other inside so both of the choc's screws clamped both conductors.

The likes of spring-loaded Wagos ought to avoid the reliability issues of correct initial torque and loosening due to vibration or thermal cycling though.

I realise these pictures aren't as spectacular as the others but they do show how powerful 230V can be. Plus it's a very real outcome if safe isolation isn't adhered to.

If a L-N or L-E short at 230v can take even a little chunk out of steel alloy, hardened with vanadium, then I hate to think what it would do to a persons hand/arm holding a pair of non VDE pliers.

These are my (now spare) side cutters after I cut through a live cable some years ago (whilst my mind was busy elsewhere, thinking about a difficult relationship with a gorgeous yet crazy woman.). We must keep our minds on the job!

When electrics go wrong!!! side cutters1 - EletriciansForums.net When electrics go wrong!!! side cutters2 - EletriciansForums.net

My snips are like that, first time in 15yrs I cut a live cable.. I rigged up a colour change LED GU10 on a flex & plug to show a customer what I was fitting, the lamp comes with colour change remote control, they were suitably impressed so as they were near the socket I asked them to power it down....

I didn't realise the remote had a lamp on/off option which rather than unplug it they simply sent an off signal, me unaware it was still plugged in cut the flex and my snips have a similar hole, it was just one of those oversights but the silver lining is the little hole is the right size for stripping 2.5 cores :)

If it is "show and tell with tools" (no sniggering at the back please!) then my confession for today is this:
When electrics go wrong!!! pliers-short - EletriciansForums.net
Happened around 1978 when carelessly working on a "live chassis" valve radio. Some of damage was filled off (oddly staying cleaner than the rest of the pliers over the years).

Pliers were a set of 3 (cutters, combination pliers, and the long-nose ones above) that my mother got from Kays Catalogue as a Xmas present for me around 1970, made in Sheffield.

some time ago, my lad aged 20, cut a live 6mm T/E. plumber told him it was disconnected/dead.

lesson no.1. never trust a wet-pants.
Never trust ANYONE

it’s not dead until you have confirmed it yourself.

years ago, it was not unusual to send an apprentice (one that was a bit to sure of themselves) to just cut out that old light feed.

sometimes they would be handed an old pair of cutters from the spark in charge, or if they had been a pita all day then the apprentices own set of shiny new cutters would be used.

the practical demonstration of failure to check for dead is a memory that stays with them for a long time, especially if they have just destroyed a pair of new cutters that cost half of last weeks wages

although it was relatively common many years ago, I don’t think it would ever have been allowed to happen.
these days I think It would be looked upon as bullying our little snowflakes.

its not bullying.... its ignoring the health and safety procedures that have been put there to protect you and your workmates.

to put the poor lad into danger knowingly could lead to claims of historical abuse. I'd watch your back if i were you.

Theyre catching all sorts of historical misdemeanors nowadays from racism and sexism... so i wouldnt be surprised if apprentice baiting became the next big thing?

Learnt my lesson years ago in a garage/workshop, attached to a house, but with no internal doorway.
Garage had its own submain and CU,0 is that the original light feed from the house which I had duly switched off to isolate.
What I didn't realise (but soon would) is that the original light feed from the house, (from before submain and CU days) was still connected to a couple of lights, and hadn't been transferred to the new CU.

Watched an apprentice making a flex off on a Klick plug in. Got fed up holding the Klick so plugged it in and continued to make off the POW !!! New snips needed.
Have I been caught out !! Yep borrowed neutral on emergency light fitting. Never fell for that one again.
Also had a call from an office reception. The very attractive young ladies were complaining about shocks from a steel staircase. High heeled shoes on nylon carpet !! So I explain about static charge much like touching a car. But then why is my volt stick glowing so brightly as I wave it across the stairs ??
Long story short. They had recently had the staircase installed and vertically straight up from a twin socket was a nice shiny raw bolt plated through the wall. Yep !! nicely clipping the live. Killed the socket circuit no more live staircase. Good example of when you should bond right there. ?

Another one for you. Called to a 3 storey office block.
DNO needed to modify the substation due to a new fast food install going on line.
So they provided a genny for the block, to keep it going whilst they were powered down.
We arrived with all staff in the car park. And two fire appliances on site.
Long story short. Loose neutral on the genny tap off.
Desk top PCs fried all over the offices, hand driers fried, light fittings fried. You name it, it was fried.
Plenty of extra work for us, but there were some very unhappy people that day.

I realise these pictures aren't as spectacular as the others but they do show how powerful 230V can be. Plus it's a very real outcome if safe isolation isn't adhered to.

If a L-N or L-E short at 230v can take even a little chunk out of steel alloy, hardened with vanadium, then I hate to think what it would do to a persons hand/arm holding a pair of non VDE pliers.

These are my (now spare) side cutters after I cut through a live cable some years ago (whilst my mind was busy elsewhere, thinking about a difficult relationship with a gorgeous yet crazy woman.). We must keep our minds on the job!

View attachment 84131 View attachment 84132
I have a similar pair of strippers.

I was cutting a slot in an existing piece of YT2 to put new drop in. The trunking was just above head height running horizontally. I had pulled the two 2.5s out but there was a run of 1.5 T&E in the bottom, laid so flat was not visible until you got up level with it.

Another one for you. Called to a 3 storey office block.
DNO needed to modify the substation due to a new fast food install going on line.
So they provided a genny for the block, to keep it going whilst they were powered down.
We arrived with all staff in the car park. And two fire appliances on site.
Long story short. Loose neutral on the genny tap off.
Desk top PCs fried all over the offices, hand driers fried, light fittings fried. You name it, it was fried.
Plenty of extra work for us, but there were some very unhappy people that day.
Had one like that on the leccy board way back when, we were providing gensets for the mains when they had shutdowns - was a 1000 whatever kva genset feeding an entire estate and the pillocks didn't realise the neutral cable was in two parts, boom can we have several hundred new VCRs please

Yes... I think I can see a “legrand” badge moulded into the back of it.
Interesting - didn't think anyone made one and assumed maybe the standard required screwed terminals. Though the terminals didn't help in this case apparently, but can't really blame them if you put 26A through it...

Not going to catch on unless there are 3 terminals per socket though.

Reply to When electrics go wrong!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock