Discuss Reporting unsafe electrical practices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steebs

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Lets get the s#1t stirring out of the way straight up... Yes I'm a sparkie, and a good one, but for all you Brits, I was trained in Australia. I did do a full apprenticeship with a very good A grade electrician. Yes, I know, You brits weren't aware that Britains largest open air nick trained electricians, right?? :)

Now to the important part. I do feel bad in a way wanting to report a fellow worker. I won't call him an electrician, rather a butcher having seen a recent example of his work. I feel that it is in the best interest of the entire world to prevent this idiot from doing any more electrical work. He basically took a bad situation and made it a complete nightmare, connecting to the wrong side of a metered supply, failing to take circuit impedance or earthing methods into consideration when creating the hazard he did.

I have to revert back to Aussie mode here, when I say in Australia, people like him would have their electrical licence taken from them and face criminal prosecution, with the chance of ever being a licensed electrician again extremely unlikely. Here you don't have licenses for electricians, and I would hope that you would agree with me, that you should have. I'm not going to disrespect any of the groups you have here ( NICIEC, ECA etc) but I don't think membership of these groups goes far enough with bringing rogues like this chap to justice. It cost me a lot of money in Australia to become an A Grade electrician and a Registered Contractor, and I am proud of the lengths I went to to make sure that my workmanship remained ( and still remains) well above standard.

Unfortunately the photos that were taken do not fully explain the situation, therefore I have opted not to post them at this time, as there does need to be a written explanation accompany them

So, back to the title of this thread. What can I/we do to protect the UK at least from this level of incompetence.

If I have offended anyone on the forum with my comments, I do apologize, but I feel very strongly about how the electrical industry here is managed, or dare I say mismanaged.

Cheers

If what he has done is potentially dangerous and you are both employed by the same company then report him.

If it's just another contractor's work you've come across no formal body will be interested, unless there is an incident resulting from it.

If I have offended anyone on the forum with my comments,

Your an Ozzy, and your Rugger team is playing us on Saturday, so yes we hate you, however if we win we can welcome you and answer the question Sunday :D

Hi everyone,

Lets get the s#1t stirring out of the way straight up... Yes I'm a sparkie, and a good one, but for all you Brits, I was trained in Australia. I did do a full apprenticeship with a very good A grade electrician. Yes, I know, You brits weren't aware that Britains largest open air nick trained electricians, right?? :)

Now to the important part. I do feel bad in a way wanting to report a fellow worker. I won't call him an electrician, rather a butcher having seen a recent example of his work. I feel that it is in the best interest of the entire world to prevent this idiot from doing any more electrical work. He basically took a bad situation and made it a complete nightmare, connecting to the wrong side of a metered supply, failing to take circuit impedance or earthing methods into consideration when creating the hazard he did.

I have to revert back to Aussie mode here, when I say in Australia, people like him would have their electrical licence taken from them and face criminal prosecution, with the chance of ever being a licensed electrician again extremely unlikely. Here you don't have licenses for electricians, and I would hope that you would agree with me, that you should have. I'm not going to disrespect any of the groups you have here ( NICIEC, ECA etc) but I don't think membership of these groups goes far enough with bringing rogues like this chap to justice. It cost me a lot of money in Australia to become an A Grade electrician and a Registered Contractor, and I am proud of the lengths I went to to make sure that my workmanship remained ( and still remains) well above standard.

Unfortunately the photos that were taken do not fully explain the situation, therefore I have opted not to post them at this time, as there does need to be a written explanation accompany them

So, back to the title of this thread. What can I/we do to protect the UK at least from this level of incompetence.

If I have offended anyone on the forum with my comments, I do apologize, but I feel very strongly about how the electrical industry here is managed, or dare I say mismanaged.

Cheers

No offence at all, shame you can't get any photos of the bad work Bruce.

Your an Ozzy, and your Rugger team is playing us on Saturday, so yes we hate you, however if we win we can welcome you and answer the question Sunday :D
wtf is "rugger"?

Hi everyone,

Cheers
Makes me puke to say it Steebs…………..but you cons are way ahead of us, in more ways than one.
I'll bet HM Prisons don't match up to yours, either.

….even 'Cell block H' would leave us trailing like an extension lead without RCD protection.

Reply to Reporting unsafe electrical practices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net