Currently reading:
When electrics go wrong!!!

Discuss When electrics go wrong!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
10,228
Just setting up a new sticky thread that unlike the dodgy trade pics thread is focused on showing the result of failures in electrical installations IE - damage caused which may be due to various reasons. Please do not post pics of poor workmanship if there is nothing else to show like the consequences, use the dodgy pics thread for that.

I will start off below with an example. I am hoping the fresh faced members and inexperienced can get a visual incite of what to expect when you come across such things and how to understand what has occured.
 
Watched an apprentice making a flex off on a Klick plug in. Got fed up holding the Klick so plugged it in and continued to make off the POW !!! New snips needed.
Have I been caught out !! Yep borrowed neutral on emergency light fitting. Never fell for that one again.
Also had a call from an office reception. The very attractive young ladies were complaining about shocks from a steel staircase. High heeled shoes on nylon carpet !! So I explain about static charge much like touching a car. But then why is my volt stick glowing so brightly as I wave it across the stairs ??
Long story short. They had recently had the staircase installed and vertically straight up from a twin socket was a nice shiny raw bolt plated through the wall. Yep !! nicely clipping the live. Killed the socket circuit no more live staircase. Good example of when you should bond right there. ?
 
Another one for you. Called to a 3 storey office block.
DNO needed to modify the substation due to a new fast food install going on line.
So they provided a genny for the block, to keep it going whilst they were powered down.
We arrived with all staff in the car park. And two fire appliances on site.
Long story short. Loose neutral on the genny tap off.
Desk top PCs fried all over the offices, hand driers fried, light fittings fried. You name it, it was fried.
Plenty of extra work for us, but there were some very unhappy people that day.
 
I realise these pictures aren't as spectacular as the others but they do show how powerful 230V can be. Plus it's a very real outcome if safe isolation isn't adhered to.

If a L-N or L-E short at 230v can take even a little chunk out of steel alloy, hardened with vanadium, then I hate to think what it would do to a persons hand/arm holding a pair of non VDE pliers.

These are my (now spare) side cutters after I cut through a live cable some years ago (whilst my mind was busy elsewhere, thinking about a difficult relationship with a gorgeous yet crazy woman.). We must keep our minds on the job!

View attachment 84131 View attachment 84132
I have a similar pair of strippers.

I was cutting a slot in an existing piece of YT2 to put new drop in. The trunking was just above head height running horizontally. I had pulled the two 2.5s out but there was a run of 1.5 T&E in the bottom, laid so flat was not visible until you got up level with it.
 
Another one for you. Called to a 3 storey office block.
DNO needed to modify the substation due to a new fast food install going on line.
So they provided a genny for the block, to keep it going whilst they were powered down.
We arrived with all staff in the car park. And two fire appliances on site.
Long story short. Loose neutral on the genny tap off.
Desk top PCs fried all over the offices, hand driers fried, light fittings fried. You name it, it was fried.
Plenty of extra work for us, but there were some very unhappy people that day.
Had one like that on the leccy board way back when, we were providing gensets for the mains when they had shutdowns - was a 1000 whatever kva genset feeding an entire estate and the pillocks didn't realise the neutral cable was in two parts, boom can we have several hundred new VCRs please
 
Two fan heaters on one double socket, need I say more, smell of fish gave it away.
Electrical - 1 of 1.jpeg
 
Yes... I think I can see a “legrand” badge moulded into the back of it.
Interesting - didn't think anyone made one and assumed maybe the standard required screwed terminals. Though the terminals didn't help in this case apparently, but can't really blame them if you put 26A through it...

Not going to catch on unless there are 3 terminals per socket though.
 
Interesting - didn't think anyone made one and assumed maybe the standard required screwed terminals. Though the terminals didn't help in this case apparently, but can't really blame them if you put 26A through it...

Not going to catch on unless there are 3 terminals per socket though.
or 4, for the DIY market
 
its not bullying.... its ignoring the health and safety procedures that have been put there to protect you and your workmates.

to put the poor lad into danger knowingly could lead to claims of historical abuse. I'd watch your back if i were you.

Theyre catching all sorts of historical misdemeanors nowadays from racism and sexism... so i wouldnt be surprised if apprentice baiting became the next big thing?
Who're you trying to kid, short ---??
 
Last edited:

Reply to When electrics go wrong!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
Top
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock