Discuss Wiring a remote light switch to a wall switch advice. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

god, this is getting too confusing.

1. identify the "live " red with a neon driver ( power on ) . if you not got one, £1.50 from any DIY store.
2. Turn off power, put said live in LIN.
3 Remove crimp fro blacks and pu both in NIN
4 Make sure earths ( green/yellow) are joined together and not to anything else.
5. Put the other red in either of the other terminals.
6. Switch on power. it will work. Trust me, i'm a doctor.

telectrix, you shouldn't be advising people to take switches off with the power on, never mind to poke a cheap screwdriver in there.

There are safer ways of determining which wire is which, like belling it out (with the power OFF)

Last edited by a moderator:
i stand corrected. i meant for him to test with the switch still connected. To bell out the cables would entail him going into the CU
. Not recommended for the average DIYer

You shouldn't even take the switch plate off the wall with the power on.

Belling out is nothing to do with CU.

I mean bell out the cables between light switch and ceiling rose to see which is the switch line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't advise my worst enemy to use a neon screwdriver might as well tell the op to lick his fingers and touch the live cable.

The only advice I will give here......contact a qualified electrician. And DO NOT go and buy a "neon screwdriver" to test anything!!!

Agree with lenny, consult a qualified electrician..........And dont use a neon screwdriver from the pound shop, from china. cant think of any proper sparks who would even mention the word, let alone have one proudly in thier kit!!

neon driver more reliable than a volt stick. find me an electrician who hasn't got one!

both are useful in their own right, as a quick guide. i was trying not to make the issue too complex.

neon driver more reliable than a volt stick. find me an electrician who hasn't got one!

I haven't got one and won't allow any sparks on our sites to use them. Any electrician worth his weight would not have one of those stupid things anywhere near them.

By the way a volt stick is 1000 x better & safer IMO.

Last edited:
ok, we all know neon testers and volt sticks are not reliable. We've all had volt sticks lighting up on "dead" cables. ideally he should use a proper test meter ( calibrated of course ) but as I said earlier, was trying to keep it simple. Off to bed now ( orders )

1. identify the "live " red with a neon driver ( power on ) . if you not got one, £1.50 from any DIY store And possibly blow your hand off

Why not call your local electrician and ask him how much it would be to change a light switch that way it will be done correctly and you wont risk endangering your self

Reply to Wiring a remote light switch to a wall switch advice. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net