Discuss 16A off 32A ring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figure 15A clearly recommends against connecting something like an Oven >2kW from a rfc, but it doesn't seem to entirely prohibit it, if diversity calcs suggest the load current is unlikely to exceed for 'long periods' (whatever those are) the current-carrying capacity of the cable.

With a new install it's clearly sensible to install a radial circuit to any fixed appliance with significant load.

Taking a more edge case, where a cheap oven with moulded plug is run from a socket on a small kitchen rfc, would that be considered as non-compliant or case dependent? I've seen that on a few 'kitchen fitter' specials on more recent properties where they haven't run a large cooker or hob feed.

Plenty of the higher quality Ovens I've seen that are made for European markets come with a requirement to fit to a 15A feed, so then trying to replace a plug mounted one in that scenario immediately causes an issue. I always install a 16 or 20A radial when I've been involved in the design, so have not run into the problem yet.

Wonder if it might become more of an issue after the B word though, since suppliers may be less interested in providing ovens with BS1363 plugs?

I wrote this, which appears to conform with regs.

As I mentioned splitting the ring into two radials is an option. But this raises another flag. A 16A radial may have a number of 13A sockets in series on it. Either the 16A appliance can be hard wired into the radial, with cable outlet, or fit the commercial plug/socket.
There is nothing to stop you splitting the ring, turning it into two separate 16A (or 20, if you like) radials and connecting your 16A appliance to this radial.
You do, of course, have to take note of the existing loads on the circuit. This is contained right at the very start of BS7671 under the jazzy title "Fundamental Principles".

Ripping a house to pieces to get in a cable for a 16A radial, when there is another simpler, and cheaper, way is rather well.....

Well, welcome to the real World of electricianing. Its not always easy. sure there might be a more simple and cheaper way, but you forgot to put an important adjective in your sentence: WRONG

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing to stop you splitting the ring, turning it into two separate 16A (or 20, if you like) radials and connecting your 16A appliance to this radial.
You do, of course, have to take note of the existing loads on the circuit. This is contained right at the very start of BS7671 under the jazzy title "Fundamental Principles".
Some sense at last.

Also, this inserting a 16A mcb in a circuit creating radial, would apply to changing the 32A ring to a 16A ring and inserting the 16A appliance in the 16A ring - as I suggested for a solution, to ripping apart a house unnecessarily.

One thing I do know is that many conflate recommendations (you do not have to) to actual laws (you have to do).
[automerge]1600189676[/automerge]
I have seen people put in a dedicated radial for a '16A' appliance, even though it draws less than 13A, because the expensive Continental appliance instructions says must be protected by a 16A mcb or fuse. They insisted on a dedicated 16A supply in case the guarantee is invalidated.

Here is something that may be of interest to this thread. It's from the OSG, App. H2 -
Final circuits using socket-outlets complying with BS 1363-2 and fused connection units complying with BS 1363-4.

16A off 32A ring 2020-09-15-182617_1366x768_scrot - EletriciansForums.net

Unless I've missed something, it appears to apply to ring finals. With this in mind, what do other forum members feel about a 16A socket on a ring final, locally protected by a 16A breaker?

[automerge]1600191878[/automerge]
Unless I've missed something, it appears to apply to ring finals. With this in mind, what do other forum members feel about a 16A socket on a ring final, locally protected by a 16A breaker?
That is what I asked and other way to around a problem. :) :)

Here is something that may be of interest to this thread. It's from the OSG, App. H2 -
Final circuits using socket-outlets complying with BS 1363-2 and fused connection units complying with BS 1363-4.

View attachment 60840

Interesting. So the installation I saw with a Wylex switch on the ring with a 16A fuse to a commercial socket outlet appears to fall in line with the regs, at least in part. Although, would a 16A commercial socket/plug comply or would it have to be permanently connected.

It looks like the rule of thumb that not higher that 13A off a ring is not true.

[automerge]1600193245[/automerge]

View attachment 60840

"A circuit breaker not exceeding 16A."
Does that mean the rating of the switching contacts?

Another great thread from this troll.

Asks for advice then won’t listen to it. This guy would try to argue that black is actually white.

View attachment 60840

What's the point of having a RFC on a16 Amp OCPD? just to accommodate a 16 Amp socket simpler to run the socket from a dedicated 16Amp circuit

• Agree
Reactions: DPG
What's the point of having a RFC on a16 Amp OCPD? just to accommodate a 16 Amp socket simpler to run the socket from a dedicated 16Amp circuit
Hi Pete. The 16A breaker would be local protection rather than whole circuit protection. It would protect only the 16A socket, and the ring would be protected by the usual 32A breaker

Hi Pete. The 16A breaker would be local protection rather than whole circuit protection. It would protect only the 16A socket, and the ring would be protected by the usual 32A breaker

I must admit I thought he (the OP) was on about splitting the radial and putting it on 2 x 16A breakers?

Seems like there might be a market for some sort of premade unit that would comply with that to allow the 15A oven example to be connected (where diversity and other loading conditions allow). Doubt it would be pretty enough to be on show though....

Seems like there might be a market for some sort of premade unit that would comply with that to allow the 15A oven example to be connected (where diversity and other loading conditions allow). Doubt it would be pretty enough to be on show though....
There are small, cheap units available that would take MCBs such as this one from wylex:

https://www.screwflix..com/p/wylex-ese2-ip40-2-module-unpopulated-din-enclosure/32311

You would have to decide if a plastic one was ok, or if a metal one would be more appropriate. But yeah, you'd want it hidden in a cupboard out of view!
[automerge]1600196972[/automerge]
Personally, I think a 16A socket on a ring final, locally protected by a 16A MCB may be safe, and may be compliant.

Here is a comparison of the time/current characteristics for a 13A BS1362 fuse vs. a 16A BS60898 MCB. Appologies for the poor quality of the image, but hopefully you can see that for most of the curve, the 16A breaker opens quicker for the same overcurrent.

16A off 32A ring 13A BS1362 vs 16A BS60898 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
"16Amp socket from a rfc protected by a 16 Amp breakerWas what was said Mate

Interesting. So the installation I saw with a Wylex switch on the ring with a 16A fuse to a commercial socket outlet appears to fall in line with the regs, at least in part. Although, would a 16A commercial socket/plug comply or would it have to be permanently connected.

It looks like the rule of thumb that not higher that 13A off a ring is not true.
I would stop short of saying a 16A fuse definitely complied, but I couldn't say that it didn't comply either. The 16A breaker is mentioned in the OSG (in the 17th edition too, so it's not a new thing), being an IET publication we can assume it carries some weight.

The actual regulations concerning ring finals are surprisingly sparse. The design guide in app 15 will ensure compliance, but is not actual regulation, and deviation from it doesn't automatically mean non compliance.

A double socket is designed to run at 20A, so yes, it is expected that a load of greater than 13A will be placed at a point on the ring for at least some of the time.

I think we may be at cross purposes Pete? Are you referring to someone else's post?
Yes Sorry Mate ignore

[automerge]1600242694[/automerge]
That may not always be practical - such as ripping a house apart for one cable, or no spare slot in the CU.

I can't answer 'how I get around the problem' because I've never encountered it, but it's an interesting theoretical question.

It might be acceptable for a 16A point load to be applied to a 32A RFC, especially if the diversity applicable or the manner of operation of a permanently-installed appliance can be foreseen and factored in. An oven that requires an average of 15A for a few minutes and then drops back to below 13A average, is not much different from one with a smaller element that draws 12A solidly for a longer warm-up time (It is different, though, because the heating in the circuit cables is proportional to I² but the heating in the oven is proportional only to I.)

We must distinguish between three possible kinds of problem arising from a large fixed load on a general-purpose RFC:

1) Risk of overloading cables, since on a 32A RFC conventionally In>Iz. Normally, this does not happen. If it does, it's very minor, which is why houses don't burn down when RFCs get broken near one end.

2) The load accounts for too great a fraction of Ib to allow the circuit to fulfil its role of supplying general purpose socket outlets. This is not specific to RFCs, it is a simple diversity conflict, that would occur equally on a 32A radial S/O circuit. If the circuit is intended to provide a useful amount of power elsewhere, a 32A circuit with a 16A load is probably better than two 20A circuits with a 16A load on one of them. The bigger the circuit, the better diversity works.

3) The accessories are not suitable for a 16A load. This is simply a practical consideration that is easily overcome by careful selection of equipment.

My view is that it is bad practice to burden a general-purpose socket-outlet circuit with large single loads unless their duty-cycle is known to be modest. I think this is actually a more significant consideration than the point loading of an RFC affecting current distribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 16A off 32A ring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock