Search the forum,

Discuss 2 amp 3 pin adapters in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have a number of rooms with 2 amp 3 pin sockets in lighting circuits. It will make it easier to add lighting units if I can get some more adapters.

I have found 2 amp 3 pin sockets and plugs on the Inernet, but no adapters. Even if they are no longer in production, I'm sure there will some available in outlets with old stock.

You need to be careful when doing this as you could potentially overload the sockets. They are installed on circuits with 6Amp or maybe 10Amp overload protection.
Plugging a single lamp in to one will not overload it as the lamp will never draw over 2Amps, but once you start adding multi adapters you could potentially overload it.

Having said that 2Amps is 480Watts at 240Volts so you'll need a fair few lamps to achieve an overload, but still worth bearing in mind.

Also the overall circuit will have been designed based on each of your sockets having one lamp in it so adding extras has the potential to overload the circuit, depending on the exact situtation.

Sounds like this is a circa 1950's original install. I'd be more concerned about the state of the cables!

Any information on this would help us give you an answer.

What makes you hunk it is a 1950's install?

"I have a number of rooms with 2 amp 3 pin sockets in lighting circuits. It will make it easier to add lighting units if I can get some more adapters."

I may be jumping the gun a bit here but how many houses do you see numerous lighting sockets unless its a gust house or hotel? Fair enough a couple in a house for table lamps. Some thing dont seem right.

Quite a few in the time I have been in the game. A lot of clients think it is a great idea when you suggest it as an option.
I can think of some houses where we have installed them in all living rooms and bedrooms.
I have done a couple of houses where lamp sockets was the only lighting in some rooms (V low ceilings)

They make testing simple as you can just make up a plug adaptor for the tester ;)

I'm thinking about going into the 2A 3 pin extension adapter business. Supply and demand and all that lol.

Pm sent to you Dave :wink:

Just to put right some of the speculation: I had the circuits put in to four rooms in m residence about 19 years ago. The question remains does anyone know of an outlet with some old stock that I could contact please?

I've had a really good search on the web and I cant find an multiple round pin extension sockets. only found this which wont be much use to you

Permaplug 15AMP Trailing extension socket Rubber Heavy Duty ELS15B | eBay

Makes sense that they no long make them, it would lead to over loading the circuit if too many appliances were plugged in. But in your situation seen as it is only for lights you have options:-

An electrician could add extra sockets in your home and make sure that the amount of sockets do not over load the circuit and also test the cable/circuit to ensure it is in good condition.

You (or an electrician) could buy some round 3 pin plug sockets and back boxes fixed to a bit of wood and make your own extension lead up? Not as nice as a factory made molded extension lead but it will do the job. Just make sure you dont plug too many lights into it or you will trip the MCB or blow the fuse in the plug top.

Personally I would suggest you call a local electrician which will help you get the best results for what you need and where you need the sockets or extension lead/s. He may be able to offer you better options once he/she has seen your house? Good luck John.

Reply to 2 amp 3 pin adapters in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock