Discuss 30mA RCD protection required for existing circuit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

spud1

-
Arms
Reaction score
If I was replacing an existing light fitting in a domestic premises, making no alteration or addition to the circuitry, would I then be obligated to provide that circuit with 30mA RCD protection if it didn't already have it?

If it’s a “like for like” swap, then there’s no need to install an RCD, but you could just mention it to the customer and explain it would increase the safety of the circuit inline with the current regs.

I think the purpose of the regulation is that this is a job that is highly likely done by the householder or DIY'er and therefore gives increased protection. I think that it applies to new and rewired domestic lighting circuits for when the householder goes to change a standard pendant fitting to a decorative one. For RCD protection to be required on an existing installation when the householder wants to change a fitting would be costly and in most cases impractical. And in this case, the risk is reduced as it is done correctly by someone engaged that is competent.

Would you issue a Minor works cert for a like for like light fitting replacement!?
Yes as I would carry out basic inspection and testing to ensure the circuit is safe and fit for continued use.

Yes as I would carry out basic inspection and testing to ensure the circuit is safe and fit for continued use.
Fair enough, when replacing accessories or light fittings like for like, I usually make a note of a Zs and or any RCD test readings etc. where applicable on the job sheet for my reference, I don't normally go as far as issuing a MWC to the client but maybe I should start...?

Fair enough, when replacing accessories or light fittings like for like, I usually make a note of a Zs and or any RCD test readings etc. where applicable on the job sheet for my reference, I don't normally go as far as issuing a MWC to the client but maybe I should start...?
Completely up to you. Either method suits as all the client will do is shove it a drawer and forget about it.

I don't think many customers would give a stuff about a MW cert for a pi$$y --- little job, 15 minutes to put up the B&Q special, and another half an hour to gather the plethora of info now needed for a MW.
"That bit of paper is going to cost you another 20 quid labour Sir, that OK? Just chuck it in the bin when I've gone."

If I was replacing an existing light fitting in a domestic premises, making no alteration or addition to the circuitry, would I then be obligated to provide that circuit with 30mA RCD protection if it didn't already have it?
How would you do that if you are mot changing it to a dual RCD split one?
Unless if you fit an RCCBO on that cct.
What would you do with the other ccts in the board wjich are not RCD protected?
Sorry for the rant but you don't have to.

Reply to 30mA RCD protection required for existing circuit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock