Discuss '94 Dodge Dakota Intermittent Stalling/Loss of Power in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,
I've asked a question on multiple forums a few times, so let me make this the best post out of all of them...
Recently, I bought a 1994 Dodge Dakota 3.9l v6 with 78,000 miles on it. About every ~60 miles, it seems to lose power while I'm driving. I'm not exactly sure what the correct term is here, but I'll give a better explanation:
This happens when the truck is either cold or warm.
Could happen 3 miles after the last time it happened... or 150 miles after.
It idles fine while this is happening.
When I try to put more power into the throttle, the less power I have.
When trying to put more power into the throttle, I can hear a popping sound every few seconds, which is presumably a backfire.
If I put the truck in neutral while driving (if this happens on a highway or something), and turn it off and restart it, it's fine for another 60 miles.

Now, I'll tell you what I've replaced:
Throttle Position Sensor
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Camshaft Position Sensor (Pickup Coil)
Ignition Coil
Spark Plugs
Catalytic Converter
Distributor Rotor/Cap
Idle Air Control Valve
I'm probably forgetting something, but I think that I covered most of what I've done.

- I have an ECU on order to see if that'll help any of my issues, but that comes in a day or two.

If it's worth mentioning, the truck idles a little rough and I can feel a slight bounce when at a stoplight or similar. The tachometer shows only 400 when idling, but when I plugged in my scan tool, it is idling at 670-700, but jumping around. Also, the stock radio sometimes has an issue where it won't work for the first two clicks of the volume, but will then get super loud on the third click, and it will be super staticky.

Thanks for your time!
Parker

Split/leak in turbo hose?

To be honest with the time and money you've spent replacing everything, you could have probably had it to a decent garage for analysis.

The fault on the radio will not be related.

A basic question , so forgive me . Is your fuel filter and air filter clean? It sounds like fuel starvation to me.
Or as @DPG said an air leak/mixture problem.

PS. Maybe dirty fuel or corroded tank.

Reply to '94 Dodge Dakota Intermittent Stalling/Loss of Power in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock