Discuss Flashing lights and powers cuts in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sharon

Hi there,
I'm not trying to be cheeky, just looking for advice before calling in a qualified electician, we've been having problems for a while now, intermittently the lights have started flickering and sometimes this causes the power to trip, we can go for days with no problems and then on some days it can happen on and off all day long sometimes it's so bad we can't even put the power back on, we have been trying to discover which circuit the problem might be on, sometimes when the large switch on the board goes off so does another smaller switch (not always though) however when leaving this smaller switch off and putting the main power back on the circuits will still trip, does that mean that it's not that circuit after all?
Every time we think that we may have discovered which electrical item may be causing the problem we disconnect it only to find that the problem still exists. With the electrical problems being so intermittent it is taking a long time to try to narrow down what might be the cause, I am a bit concerened that if we call in an electrician without more of an idea where the problem might lie we might not be much help ...... I don't want to look an idiot, it sounds bonkers that we can't identify what is causing this to some extent, any suggestions?
Many thanks for any help
Sharon

it coukld be waht we call cumulative leakage. more than 1 circuit has some leakage, each 1 not being of sufficient magnitude to cause a trip, but added together could cause the RCD to trip. afraid it's time to call in a local sparks withn test equipment.

AW thanks, that kind of makes sense, because we notice the flickering seems to get worse the more appliances we seem to switch on.

It could be a number of issues too, flickering lights can be a sign of living close to heavy industry when there big loads switch on but also it can be a warning of poor connection, loose wires and this really wants to be addressed, as its all guess work at the moment and really needs someone to check all is ok, its a small price to pay if they find any loose wires as these can in some cases lead to fire.... now without trying to get you all frightened and panicy, it can also be several other issues of which are not a safety concern as such be still want addressing.

Following your post mentioning loading up the circuits increases the flickering then I would recommend you get an Electrician in asap and in the mean time do not load your circuits up if possible... I would recommend turning power off but this may not be practical but is advice I'd normally give, its sounds like you have a loose L or N in your consumer unit or possibly at your supply cutout or meter... this is a concern as large amounts of heat can be generated ..... ensure your consumer unit and service meter/cutout are well clear of all flammable items... this is just precautionary and just to add ensure all smoke detectors are functional.

Lets hope my concerns are not the case but switch off as much as you can before bed this should limit any heat build up while your in bed, please let us know how you get on thanks.

Last edited:
Hi, here's an update, we have installed linked smoke alarms all over the house for safetys sake, but the problem seems to have disappeared we were about to get an electrician in however in the meantime, I noticed that one of the downlighters in the bathroom was flashing quite badly, so my husband unscrewed the bulb, and since then all the flickering and tripping has stopped, does this make any sense or is this just a major coincidence? We are truly puzzled could this have been caused by just one light fitting?

it sounds as though there may be a bad connection above that downlight, esp. if it's looped through. best to check.

I regularly come across a fault with ES lamps (for the OP, screw in bulbs not bayonet BC) in that if they are not fully tightened they do eventually cause flickering. Try the bulb again and make sure it's tight. If it still flickers then dodgy fitting or as Tel says, bad connection.

Reply to Flashing lights and powers cuts in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net