Currently reading:
Am i entitled to call myself a sparky?

Discuss Am i entitled to call myself a sparky? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ok , so i completed 2365 level 3, and also 17th edition. At my place of work , I'm the go to guy, as well as another very experienced electrician, to do the electrical work. They don't seem to have a problem with me not having the nvq completed ( maybe naive) . I've had some issues with a new contract, and am seeking more pay. but am basing it on my quals that i already have, do i have a ground to fight for better pay?

4 years experience and 2365 level 3, i also have engineering maintenance level 2 nvq, IOSH, HACCP , 17th edition. Surely with these quals i can insist on this?

This is an engineering environment predominantly, but of course electrical work needs doing too.

I would say no if im honest, until you have completed the NVQ and Am2 you cant deem yourself an Electrician. I can swap a washer on a tap but i cant call myself a plumber. If im really honest your not really an Electrician until you have been qualified for a few years and have experienced a large variety of the different work areas, i.e. Domestic, Commercial and Industrial.

You can call yourself whatever you want lol.....the term "Electrician" is not a protected one. However, the JIB will grade people as Electricians , Approved etc and firms recognise this as it's the only reasonable system we have. They want NVQ3 for you as you have a later qual though..... old school can grade with 236 2360 or whatever.

Why didn't you do the NVQ? If you're working as an Electrician and you think you're an electrician then it'll be easy enough.
I'm fully qualified with 7 years experience and I don't truly feel like I'm done learning yet.

Quite a few times served electricians where I work have never done AM2. Does that mean they are not electricians?

One electrician at my works failed the AM2 when it first came out. He's still considered and payed as an electrician

Quite a few times served electricians where I work have never done AM2. Does that mean they are not electricians?

One electrician at my works failed the AM2 when it first came out. He's still considered and payed as an electrician

It depends. If they got their NVQ without it as I did then yes. If they needed the AM2 to
Complete their NVQ and so never got the NVQ then no.

Why didn't you do the NVQ? If you're working as an Electrician and you think you're an electrician then it'll be easy enough.
I'm fully qualified with 7 years experience and I don't truly feel like I'm done learning yet.

My job is predominantly a maintenance Engineer, but i do some electrical work too. I'm certainly not done learning, and at this place i never will be, there just isn't enough variation of work. But if they have me working for say £11 an hour, i don't feel it would be wrong to have a bit more , considering when they get contractors in doing the same work , £25 an hour is cheap.

What issues do you have with the new contract?
If they are going you the work of an 'electrician' but not the pay then ask them why.

The reason is because I'm still considered by them, to be training. But at the same time, get me doing work that only a qualified sparky can do. It's an odd situation granted, just wanted some input from guys who are fully qualified and long term served.

My job is predominantly a maintenance Engineer, but i do some electrical work too. I'm certainly not done learning, and at this place i never will be, there just isn't enough variation of work. But if they have me working for say £11 an hour, i don't feel it would be wrong to have a bit more , considering when they get contractors in doing the same work , £25 an hour is cheap.

Aldi pay £10 an hour so surely you are worth more then a pound more then their shelf stacker.

Reply to Am i entitled to call myself a sparky? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Courses

This is the main Electrical Courses at ElectriciansForums.net. Find local recommended electricians courses. Avoid training "company" scams. Always go view the training centre before booking any electrical courses.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back