Discuss Any recommendations for a light weight electric screwdriver? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would like a lightweight electric implement for undoing and doing up screws on sockets, switches etc. It's really just for when I am doing EICR's as you take off quite a few faceplates. There are so many options out there that i'm getting a bit snowed under trying to narrow down my search. It's really if any of you use something like this and are happy with it.

Ideally i'd like it to have a degree of speed control on it, although I guess if it is pretty slow anyway then maybe not. Anything from some kind of pencil screwdriver to one that looks like a drill, as long as it's light.

Cheers :)

How much do you want to spend?
I don't really mind Pete. I like to buy quality so it can be a bit pricey (let's say max £150), although if there's something cheaper that does the job then that's fine.

I have one that I got in the states. Best way to describe it would be like a tiny wheel brace with a 4mm flat end and a handle that spins. Maybe some of our members from that side of the pond will know it’s correct name. What I do know is that it is a doddle for socket screws.

i have a cheapo ryobi. 4.0V has speed control and torque control. ideal for what you want. bosch and a few others do similar.

I don't really mind Pete. I like to buy quality so it can be a bit pricey (let's say max £150), although if there's something cheaper that does the job then that's fine.
The WIHA one is nice but above the price range you quoted about 260 scrots

Bosch go. Mine was £30. Brilliant
I looked closely at that one but was really put off by the fact that you have to push the screwdriver forwards to make it work, rather than a button.

go for the ryobi. £20. it's a no brainer. had mine 4 years. was £30 when i bought it.

Nope.. decided against the Wiha, it's just too expensive. It also may have a design flaw in the o ring that holds the bit in place, plus Wiha customer service sounds poor, so not worth the £200.

I have had a Bosch ixo for years and find it quite versatile once you get used to knowing when to let go of the trigger, the one annoying thing is the bits don't lock in.
I bought a 20 quid MCallister one in b&q the other week that has lock in hex and some torque settings, and it's not bad for £20, a bit flimsy but other than that I can't grumble!

The wiha certainly does look good Pete. I know I said price doesn't really matter but that is perhaps a little too much :)
Nice though is it not eh.
[automerge]1567316229[/automerge]
The wiha certainly does look good Pete. I know I said price doesn't really matter but that is perhaps a little too much :)
Saw one Hilt I think, a tenner in the Orange Shed

Last edited:
I have the wiha one nice bit of kit
How long have you had it? Any problems so far?
[automerge]1567342246[/automerge]
Thanks as usual for the input guys.... however i have ignored you all and gone for something else! No offence:D.

I would have bought the Wiha speedE as even with that price tag it looks as though within a month or 2 it could have paid for itself. However, amazon has 3 reviews on it and 2 of them are very poor. I believe one of the reviews is by @NDG Elecs . I'd be interested to hear if you ever got your Wiha back NDG, and if so are you happy with it now, any more problems, do you use it lots?

I have gone for cheap and cheerful this time TACKLIFE Electric Screwdriver, 3.6V Screwdriver Drill Set 2000mAh Li-on 3 Flexible Positions and 6 Torque Setting with 31pcs Bonus Bits, Front and Rear Lam in a Storage Box -SDH13DC: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cordless-Screwdriver-Tacklife-Lithium-Ion-Positions/dp/B01N0ZGIG0
@happyhippydad

Last edited:

Reply to Any recommendations for a light weight electric screwdriver? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock