Discuss bathroom extractor fan advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

rynh11

DIY
Reaction score
My extractor fan has given up the ghost this week and I was hoping to replace it myself, however I cannot do a like for like swap as the current fan is rated for zone 2, operated by a switch on the fan housing but located within zone 1,

My plan is to replace the old fan with a zone 1 rated fan, which has a transformer that will be located in the loft, with an additional 3-core and earth wired from the transformer into the bathroom lighting circuit to operate the fan with the light switch.

All the electrical work will be carried out in the loft above the bathroom and nothing extra will be added inside the bathroom itself other than replacement fan

My question is, do i require an electrician to carry out the work on the circuit or can I carry it out myself as it is outside the bathroom?

Thanks in advance!

TL;DR
Am i allowed to add a switched live to current bathroom lighting circuit without an electrician
Last edited:
You can replace a fan in zone 1 with a 230 volt fan with a pull cord, with an IP rating of at least IPX5, as long as the circuit is protected by a 30mA RCD.
Replacing like for like in a bathroom is not notifiable work, however, any alterations to the circuit would be notifiable work. Which means in practical terms that it would be best to use an electrician who is registered with a competent person scheme to be able to notify building control.

Reply to bathroom extractor fan advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net