Discuss Bedroom lights without earths in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If it were not for the problem with accessing the loft I would not be hesitating. What difference does it make that one light has a CPC? This what I have wondered about? Would it be better if there were none?
The problem is we don’t know what “no earth” actually means without seeing the report or the property.

It could be that a CPC is only physically present at one fitting, which is confusing and requires investigation to find out why. Older properties may only have 2-core to all the light fittings and switches and that is sometimes ok but with a strong recommendation to upgrade.

Or it could be that a CPC is physically present at all light fittings, but not continuous between them. This is much more serious as it implies a break or degradation in the wiring somewhere, possibly rodent damage or a poorly made joint somewhere.That needs further investigation and must be resolved.

Or the wiring could leave the DB in 2-core, turn into 3-core at one fitting and then back to 2-core at the others. Which again implies a joint somewhere, and maybe not a great one at that. Further investigation needed.

The problem is we don’t know what “no earth” actually means without seeing the report or the property.

It could be that a CPC is only physically present at one fitting, which is confusing and requires investigation to find out why. Older properties may only have 2-core to all the light fittings and switches and that is sometimes ok but with a strong recommendation to upgrade.

Or it could be that a CPC is physically present at all light fittings, but not continuous between them. This is much more serious as it implies a break or degradation in the wiring somewhere, possibly rodent damage or a poorly made joint somewhere.That needs further investigation and must be resolved.

Or the wiring could leave the DB in 2-core, turn into 3-core at one fitting and then back to 2-core at the others. Which again implies a joint somewhere, and maybe not a great one at that. Further investigation needed.
Thanks for this. I am understanding it better now. I don't think there has been

What you also need to realise is coding is done at the discretion of the inspector so just because the majority on here may say C3 for no cpc with plastic class2 fitting......another inspector who to be fair is actually on site and can see/test the installation may decide it’s a c2 and that’s what your report will reflect.....possibly maybe if you ever see it ?

Thanks for this. I am understanding it better now. I don't think there has been

What you also need to realise is coding is done at the discretion of the inspector so just because the majority on here may say C3 for no cpc with plastic class2 fitting......another inspector who to be fair is actually on site and can see/test the installation may decide it’s a c2 and that’s what your report will reflect.....possibly maybe if you ever see it ?
Yeah I understand. I think they are a bit over the top. They were also going on about some fuse being a different make and were going to make it C2 but in the end made it C3. I am more worried now about the dead bodies they are going to find in the loft.??

They were also going on about some fuse being a different make and were going to make it C2 but in the end made it C3.
Manufacturers generally only test and rate their CU’s containing their own equipment, so the regs are fairly clear that mixing manufacturers is a no no.

Although the devices all have to conform to a BSEN standard there’s no universal standard for the CU enclosure itself or the bus bar connections. That means there are many different sizes and orientations of bus bars, and there’s no guarantee that a Schneider MCB will properly connect to or sit properly inside a Hager CU for example.

Mixed manufacturers is nearly always a C3 to me. If the MCB isn’t sitting properly on the bus bar and/or there are signs of thermal or mechanical damage then it’s at least a C2, maybe even a C1 if the damage is very severe.

As has been said many times, without seeing the reports or the property it’s very difficult to comment and regardless the coding of the inspector is entirely subjective. A C3 to me is someone else’s C2 and vice versa.

No lights need an Earth if double insulated.....right up until the 18th When all circuits need rcd protection in a domestic setting...which can’t happen with no cpc, I would say that if the others have cpcs you may have them there and they’ve just been cut out (not uncommon) which is why they’ll want to access the loft to rectify.....in fairness to the sparks if they can find it that’s a cheap fix for you
I am also confused by this. Plastic doesn't conduct so what difference would having an earth attached to a plastic fitting make? If it's not RCD'd without one then it shouldn't be RCD'd with one either? I'm sure this is wrong but would be grateful if you could explain :)

I am also confused by this. Plastic doesn't conduct so what difference would having an earth attached to a plastic fitting make? If it's not RCD'd without one then it shouldn't be RCD'd with one either? I'm sure this is wrong but would be grateful if you could explain :)
Ignoring the RCD issue, look at this way.

Your earth fault loop impedance (Zs) has to meet a certain value for your protective devices to operate. You need to measure and record this both on initial verification and on periodic inspection. You can do this either by direct measurement or by calculation (Ze + (R1+R2)).

How do you measure or calculate the Zs value for a circuit without a CPC? You can’t really, you need to measure R1+R2 at the very least and you don’t have an R2 to measure if there’s no CPC.

On periodics you can check earth continuity by measuring R2 at each point, but again you can’t do that if there isn’t a CPC present in the first place.

That’s why the regs say a CPC must be present at all accessories and other points on the fixed wiring even if the accessory doesn’t require an earth functionally or otherwise (double insulated).

Manufacturers generally only test and rate their CU’s containing their own equipment, so the regs are fairly clear that mixing manufacturers is a no no.

Although the devices all have to conform to a BSEN standard there’s no universal standard for the CU enclosure itself or the bus bar connections. That means there are many different sizes and orientations of bus bars, and there’s no guarantee that a Schneider MCB will properly connect to or sit properly inside a Hager CU for example.

Mixed manufacturers is nearly always a C3 to me. If the MCB isn’t sitting properly on the bus bar and/or there are signs of thermal or mechanical damage then it’s at least a C2, maybe even a C1 if the damage is very severe.

As has been said many times, without seeing the reports or the property it’s very difficult to comment and

Your earth fault loop impedance (Zs) has to meet a certain value for your protective devices to operate. You need to measure and record this both on initial verification and on periodic inspection. You can do this either by direct measurement or by calculation (Ze + (R1+R2)).

How do you measure or calculate the Zs value for a circuit without a CPC? You can’t really, you need to measure R1+R2 at the very least and you don’t have an R2 to measure if there’s no CPC.

On periodics you can check earth continuity by measuring R2 at each point, but again you can’t do that if there isn’t a CPC present in the first place.

That’s why the regs say a CPC must be present at all accessories and other points on the fixed wiring even if the accessory doesn’t require an earth functionally or otherwise (double insulated).
That's a good explanation. I think I am beginning to understand. Was this the case in 2014?

Yes, I’m pretty sure it’s been the case since some time in the 1970’s but I’m not an historical regs expert!
Yes and someone probably the same people have broken the connection.. I am going to try and post the 2014 EICR but I can't get in to to annoymise it. I will ask my partner if he can but not he can either

It looks like you are going to have to bite the bullet and move the crap in the loft space . A rental property needs to be compliant and I wouldnt be happy having the landlords gear stashed in the space I am renting - who's to say it's not a fire risk !

2014 EICR
It looks like you are going to have to bite the bullet and move the crap in the loft space . A rental property needs to be compliant and I wouldnt be happy having the landlords gear stashed in the space I am renting - who's to say it's not a

It looks like you are going to have to bite the bullet and move the crap in the loft space . A rental property needs to be compliant and I wouldnt be happy having the landlords gear stashed in the space I am renting - who's to say it's not a fire risk !
I cannot assure you that my rental property is fully compliantt. The tenant is perfectly happy with the house. He writes that he loves it there and one reason is that I am a good landlord. Anyhow snarky it turns out that the electricians now say that it can remain as it is and they just need to put a label on the consumer unit. They seem to have concluded this after I requested more understanding of the matter. Thank you to all the people on here who have offered advice and help. I did try and upload the 2014 but it would not attach..

The electricians have now concluded that it can stay as it is. Interesting. Thanks for your advice

I reckon your stuck on this one mate, if there’s no cpc then it’s not rcd’d so depending on inspector you are probably getting a C2 regardless...so it’ll need sorting and that will involve accessing the loft
Thanks for your advice. I feel a lot more informed. But guess what the electricians have concluded that it's fine to leave it and stick a lable on the consumer unit. Funny that. This came after I asked for clarification from them. I explained that I was stupid and apologised, one week later to the day they concluded it was alright as it is. ?

Seems to me that you will go to any lengths to avoid clearing the crap out of the loft and you are on here looking for a loophole

Did you get the trunking sorted?

How did you get them both to agree?
Last friday by email I asked for clarification on what they were telling me. I was told that this was regs. I asked again for clarification. I apologised for being ignorant but said I wanted to clarify the situation. I heard nothing back. I emailed again twice. Then today I was told that A had spoken to B and C and that it was okay. I am grateful for advice on here. It's disappointing that a certain poster needs to be aggressive

Last friday by email I asked for clarification on what they were telling me. I was told that this was regs. I asked again for clarification. I apologised for being ignorant but said I wanted to clarify the situation. I heard nothing back. I emailed again twice. Then today I was told that A had spoken to B and C and that it was okay. I am grateful for advice on here. It's disappointing that a certain poster needs to be aggressive

I’m really intrigued to find out why you don't want people in your loft.
I would really like you to come in the loft never mind that the electrivian just came up. He wants your address

Remember that while they will point out the need for an RCD and hence cpc as they are working to up to date standards, the installation was correct at the time of installation and as far as I know should be listed as needs to be done but not failed.

just my uneducated opinion.

I believe that there are dates for when 18th edition applies for all work being designed after a certain date.

Last edited:
Remember that while they will point out the need for an RCD and hence cpc as they are working to up to date standards, the installation was correct at the time of installation and as far as I know should be listed as needs to be done but not failed.

just my uneducated opinion.

I believe that there are dates for when 18th edition applies for all work being designed after a certain date.
Yes I think you are right. I am a bit annoyed as when they were doing stuff in there before with all the floor boards up I asked the electricians if anything else needed doing and he said no. It would have been relatively simple than to earth those bits that aren't. As I explained over half the house is. They have contradicted themselves about it all now. There is the electrician who did the work, the guy in the office who does the estimates and the owner. They are all electricians. The electrician who did the EICR said it did not need doing. Then the guy in the office said it did. After querying this one week later the guy in the office said he had spoken to the owner who said it didn't. So all they need to do now is put a clamp on the bonding, replace a cracked switch and glue the ruddy trunking..I am told that there are so many landlords needing these EICRs doing that it will be impossible to get them all done by April when they are due. I am just relieved that I have got mine. I am also lucky that my tenant who is an academic works from home a lot of the time and is very good at letting workmen in and is not too paranoid about Covid. I have been told that some tenants won't allow gas checks never mind EICRs.

Reply to Bedroom lights without earths in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net