Discuss Black brown and grey wires in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I'm replacing a light fitting in the bathroom but the wiring is confusing me, black brown and grey?

Is black neutral
20230914_1433361.jpg
and brown live in this case?

Thanks!

Yeah joined together.

Both the fan and the light stopped working but didn't trip the circuit breaker.

The individual fuse for the fan is intact but the fan isn't working and this is a replacement light fitting I'm about to fit

Would need to see it. Sounds like one of those tiny connector boxes and if so you are not going to connect all those wires within in which would probably required if it is a Class II fitting.

What about the earths and greys, if it is a Class II fitting that connector box is not suitable for all those wires.

I'd connect the two earths as well, the greys are connected together.

There has been a light fitted for years with this wiring, it just confused me with the brown black and grey, hadn't seen that before.

Thanks, I'll get an electrician out I think
Best thing you can do.

Its easy for someone to say, oh just connect this to that and whatever.... but without knowing how the other ends are connected, its guesswork.

When the colours changed from red/yellow/blue to brown/black/grey in 3 core and earth cable..... there wasnt a definitive choice of which colour would be neutral.

Some used black, as it was black that was used in old red and black twin cable..... others used grey, as the regs showed a diagram of red becoming brown, yellow becoming black and blue becoming grey when the colours changed..... and blue was used as a neutral in the past.

IMO, grey is used as neutral....

Best thing you can do.

Its easy for someone to say, oh just connect this to that and whatever.... but without knowing how the other ends are connected, its guesswork.

When the colours changed from red/yellow/blue to brown/black/grey in 3 core and earth cable..... there wasnt a definitive choice of which colour would be neutral.

Some used black, as it was black that was used in old red and black twin cable..... others used grey, as the regs showed a diagram of red becoming brown, yellow becoming black and blue becoming grey when the colours changed..... and blue was used as a neutral in the past.

IMO, grey is used as neutral....
Yep. Black sleeved g/y as earth, grey sleeved blue.
Very rarely came across the old colours with the yellows and blues sleeved, though.
In fact I cannot remember ever coming across blues sleeved black for neutral in such situations.
Before harmonizing we sleeved red for 2 way lights, though.

Last edited:

Reply to Black brown and grey wires in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net