Currently reading:
Board Change Questions

Discuss Board Change Questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So im looking to get certified with Stroma, signed up and my first job that I can use for the assessment is a board change.

The only issue is it doesn't have bonding to the main water. Can I change the board and put the fact there is no bonding down under as an advisory?

Thanks for your help in advanced

Sorry but you should know better as you seem adequately qualified so to speak, I'm not trying to sound rude but how can you possibly not know this? I'm disgusted that you would even consider leaving it off.

If your mate leaves it off then he is a fool and going the extra mile to wrecking this industry!

Experience means a lot more than qualifications. Some things I have little experience with, this bonding issue Is one. Yes you did seem rude.

Everyone starts from somewhere, im sure when you were starting up you had "silly" questions that needed to be answered. This is a forum where questions get asked.

Get of you high horse and do what your on here to be doing and that's answering questions to a decent manor and with the relative information to help the person asking the question.

In turn this will educate them and help with their experience

Thanks

Unfortunately it goes from the outside path under the house to under the sink.

His reason is because hes not adding or altering the existing install He's changing the board to make it safer.

If "your mate" thinks that changing a consumer unit is not an alteration to the existing system, and in doing so thinks he can ignore the basic safety principles of the regs, then you would do well to avoid this cowboy for any sort of guidance in the future.

My point was that you have undergone a form of recognised training which means you should hopefully know this information, yes we all have to start somewhere, but you have some good qualifications which leads me to think you should have known better.

yes he is. he's given the answer along with several other posters, albeit with a mild slating. you'd get worse in a site canteen.

yes he is. he's given the answer along with several other posters, albeit with a mild slating. you'd get worse in a site canteen.

And nowt compared to the slating from a scheme inspector when he casually informs them "Oh I didn't put the bonding in because it was going to be a right nightmare and my mate says I don't have to bother"

Akwpody,
Usually I would defend persons like yourself getting slated, but this time I can't.

If your starting out, you should be doing some extra studying each night before each job if it is your first. Then it becomes easier.

As basic knowledge when even working for somebody, at the very least you would install a 10mm earth wire. First though, I would be testing the board with a few simple tests before even starting, at the same time you could investigate further whether or not that incomer is extraneous or not.

Im all game for a laugh on site but surly people are on this website are here to be productive and help people? Not wait for an opportunity to jump and being a tool.
I've always likened this place to a site cabin mate. What usually happens in one of those places if you ask a question like this? Once you've had your rollocking you'll get the mick taken mercilessly for the rest of the week or until the next daft question is asked.

you bond it as near as possible to the point of entry. if that's 20ft. away , but the copper pipe is continuous, then it's a damn site better than no bonding at all.

Reply to Board Change Questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock