Discuss BS88 fuse board on a new installations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I was wondering, are BS88 fuse boards still used on some new installations especially industrial and even commercial. And if so would that be ok with the regulations or not because its not retrospective. I know they are quite outdated and its hard to find a electrical wholesaler selling BS88 fuse boards. BS88 fuse breaking capacity tends to be a lot higher than MCB's, if I'm right, hence why they might be preferred on say a industrial environment like a chemical or nuclear power plant.

You would have to look at the trade-off between practicality and performance; such are the operational advantages of MCBs that it would be difficult to justify using fuses unless they offered a specific technical benefit. But as you say, they can provide very effective protection with high breaking capacity and for some applications better time/current curves. I expect Red Spot boards will still be available a few decades hence.

I don't see why not, really, dependant upon final sub circuits. RCD protection for socket outlets and methods of wiring would be crucial. I still work on plenty but I must say that I've not installed one since the 1990's at a rough guess. Plenty of advantages with mcb's.
I once remember getting into an argument with a younger spark who reckoned they should all be replaced (EICR code 2). His argument....you could have a three phase circuit with a phase down. :rolleyes:
I did an EICR a few years ago with a few MEM 3 phase boards and, for various reasons, replaced the rewireable carriers with HRC's. Board changes with MCB, though.

I think the argument is more one of availability than anything else... I had to find some 80A wire a few years ago for three fuses, CEF eventually tracked down the one reel left in stock in the U.K. (So if anyone needs some....... [@ £500 an inch, clearly])

Yes they are still available and fully compliant.
They are fitted all of the time in blocks of flats and similar, usually Ryfield boards in that application.
MEM excel boards are also still available.

I have been considering using BS88s for 4x TPN circuits on an upcoming DB replacement as the 4 cir units have a Zs that is too high for MCCBs but will be ok for BS88s, but it turns out that 4x switchfuses are cheaper.
[automerge]1599209426[/automerge]
I think the argument is more one of availability than anything else... I had to find some 80A wire a few years ago for three fuses, CEF eventually tracked down the one reel left in stock in the U.K. (So if anyone needs some....... [@ £500 an inch, clearly])

I've had that problem before but just change the fuse carriers out for BS88 holders.

As above, they have good points:
  • High break capacity
  • Low let-through fault energy (for a given rating)
  • Meet disconnection times generally at higher Zs than MCB/MCCB
  • Good selectivity behavior
  • Cheaper than MCCB
But they also have down-sides:
  • Relatively skilled replacement, compared to flipping a breaker
  • Due to above, can be swapped for wrong rating
  • Most don't show operation (but they are available)
  • Can allow one phase to be lost
  • Not good for making/breaking on load (yes, can be done, good for isolation, but gives me the willies contemplating doing so on a high energy circuit)
So for the likes of distribution (Ryefiled boards, etc) or switch-fuses off a busbar chamber, etc, BS88 fuses make an excellent choice, but for most end circuits the practicalities would almost certainly make you go for a breaker.

The ones I have seen have a bit on the end cap.

You do get some fuse holders with indicators (neon, LED?), but that means you have to be normal standard AC voltages and OK with a few mA going through after a fault.

Shame a lot of manufacturers don't do fuse carriers for their domestic style boards, been a couple of occasions where there's been no room for a switch fuse so ended up using and MCB in the board but would have preferred a fuse for the distribution circuit.

Shame a lot of manufacturers don't do fuse carriers for their domestic style boards, been a couple of occasions where there's been no room for a switch fuse so ended up using and MCB in the board but would have preferred a fuse for the distribution circuit.

Not just domestic boards, i'd like to see them readily available for all DB's.

I guess there would be problems with approvals if they were to do this though,
[automerge]1599226728[/automerge]
The ones I have seen have a bit on the end cap.

You do get some fuse holders with indicators (neon, LED?), but that means you have to be normal standard AC voltages and OK with a few mA going through after a fault.

I've not seen the end cap ones yet.

I've only ever seen LED indicators like you describe in automotive fuses, I don't like the sound of that at all in LV applications!

Hager do them but only up to 30A, Memshield 2 did them up to 45A but the 40 and 45A carriers took up two ways in the board.

Do you know if anyone does them at 63A for a TPN DB?
Very much doubt you will find one up to 63A as even the old Memshield 2 45A took up two ways. Schneider do them in one, two and three poles but only up to 32A.
[automerge]1599228839[/automerge]
The issue I think is having them the width for the busbars, etc. For single slot MCB sizes I have only ever seen 32A.

Here is an example larger one with indicators:
[automerge]1599228523[/automerge]
More the sort of size I have used recently:
Just looking at these do they actually fit into a dist board.

Just looking at these do they actually fit into a dist board.
I don't know.

In my case it was for a DIN rail box for misc control stuff, so I have not checked if the terminals match any corresponding MCB for a board. You would like to think the Schneider would have the sense to standardize on incoming terminal spec across the whole range, but I have long since given up expecting sense!

It seems the forum have jumped on it.....advertising Eaton Bussmann IEC cylindrical fuses.
There seem more adverts than posts at present.
Regarding BS88's, they are ideal for feeding sub boards. Breakers feeding breakers is such a common occurrence these days but unavoidable in so many situations.

I was wondering, are BS88 fuse boards still used on some new installations especially industrial and even commercial. And if so would that be ok with the regulations or not because its not retrospective. I know they are quite outdated and its hard to find a electrical wholesaler selling BS88 fuse boards. BS88 fuse breaking capacity tends to be a lot higher than MCB's, if I'm right, hence why they might be preferred on say a industrial environment like a chemical or nuclear power plant.

BS88 fuses are still used extensively in most of our motor control centers. Easier to change a fuse than a faulty MCCB!

BS88 fuses are still used extensively in most of our motor control centers. Easier to change a fuse than a faulty MCCB!
Also much lower fault let-through energy so other stuff tends to survive.

This avert-video is quite good at showing the impact of this sort of aspect. OK they are looking at 25kA fault currents which is a touch above the domestic or light industry case, but it still illustrates it well:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dckmSgp1nw

Reply to BS88 fuse board on a new installations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock