Currently reading:
changing light fittingd

Discuss changing light fittingd in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi everyone
when changing a rose and pendent for a metal light fitting do you have to wire to the connector blocks in the light, or can you put connector blocks on loop in/out and push into ceiling with 1 t/e connected so as to only have 1 t/e to fitting or does it need connecting in a jct box above

If you have access to the floor space above the new light, you should fit a junction box. (fire precaution). If the connector blocks are in the light fitting itself, use them..Put insulating tape around the blocks once the cables have been terminated. MK make a neat little junction box which you could push up into the ceiling if you only want 1 cable at the light fitting..

If you have access to the floor space above the new light, you should fit a junction box. (fire precaution). If the connector blocks are in the light fitting itself, use them..Put insulating tape around the blocks once the cables have been terminated. MK make a neat little junction box which you could push up into the ceiling if you only want 1 cable at the light fitting..
cheers mate we used to just use connector blocks tape up and push up in ceiling but with new regs is this classed as a permanent joint and it would not necessarily be easily accessible for inspection and testing as they say,not heard of them mk jct boxes are they only slim ones to get through hole in ceiling or do you mean the small 20a round ones which will mean creating larger hole e used to use connector blocks for this reason but not sure if this satisfies new regs any ideas

Last edited:
cheers guys
when you say wagos in a choc box what do you mean im a bit new to that terminology sorry for my lack of knowledge what im asking is if you take a plastic ceiling rose down to replace with a new metal fitting .if its not possible to get to the wiring from above what is the best way we as i said we used to just use connector blocks taped up to existing then add a small length of 1.0mm so only 1 t/e coming through hole in ceiling so as to aid easy connection are you not allowed to now do this uder new regs or is it bettter to just try connect existing wiring inside the new fitting cheers

You may have seen push wire terminals (no screws), have a look at this company...Wagobox Home of The Maintenance Free Junction Box They're not the only one, but better than a lot of cheaper competitors. Choc boxes(lighting terminal boxes) are everywhere, Screwfix etc. For lighting you can then combine the two. Have a look at the rest of the range for power. Superb!
cheers jimmy jazz
not seen them before they are good looking peice of kit look easier to use than connector blocks plus look a lot more neater and permanent as per regs, cheers mate great site this. ive been working in electrics for 23yrs on and off but only recently done a course for 17th,part p,building regs and pat testing i have not set up yet but hope to do so soon i am also looking to do the 2391 somewhere local in lancashire near leigh a mate who was on course has just done the 2391 at bury college passed first time wish i would have signed up for it too. i have been tryig to get help off dole to set up but wont help me as i am a carer for my misses who is disabled since 2005 ive not been able to do much work cause of this but am hoping to get going soon good to know some people still willing to give advice cheers mate thanks for your help

Reply to changing light fittingd in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock